Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
User avatar
By Flyin'Dutch'
#1662290
GrahamB wrote:Do any of these bikes have energy recovery on braking, or is the current flow all one-way?


I know of none that have this as a feature at the moment.

No doubt it is technically possible but the amount that can be regenerated will be pretty small.
By Mike Tango
#1662292
When I bought mine just over year ago the word then was that it’s probably coming, but still a bit off. The question is whether it’s actually worth it or not, I think a common consensus is not really.
User avatar
By Rob P
#1662293
Sorry I can't give a reference but I think this is available on at least one of the electric scooters.

I read it and moved on.

Rob P
User avatar
By flybymike
#1662296
Scooters would logically be an improvement on bikes for taking in the aeroplane. They are lighter and take less space when folded.
I wonder what the logic is for banning them on U.K. roads whilst allowing bikes.
They seem to be legal for public use in much of the world.
User avatar
By Flyin'Dutch'
#1662302
The wheels on scooters are generally that small that you would struggle to get off the airfield due to the condition of the peritrack/access roads.
User avatar
By GrahamB
#1662303
Mike Tango wrote:When I bought mine just over year ago the word then was that it’s probably coming, but still a bit off. The question is whether it’s actually worth it or not, I think a common consensus is not really.

I'd have thought that depends on how hilly an area you live in. Round this neck of the woods you'd use a lot of battery helping you up hills which is just wasted on the downhill sections where you have to brake to stay at a reasonable speed.
User avatar
By nallen
#1662304
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Do any of these bikes have energy recovery on braking, or is the current flow all one-way?


I know of none that have this as a feature at the moment.

No doubt it is technically possible but the amount that can be regenerated will be pretty small.


Some of the Klever bikes have regenerative braking:

https://www.klever-mobility.com/
By Mike Tango
#1662308
GrahamB wrote:I'd have thought that depends on how hilly an area you live in. Round this neck of the woods you'd use a lot of battery helping you up hills which is just wasted on the downhill sections where you have to brake to stay at a reasonable speed.


There’s some thoughts here on why it’s not a feature on most bikes...

https://www.pandaebikes.com/regen-braking-ebikes-worth/
User avatar
By Flyin'Dutch'
#1662314
I think you will be amazed how little energy would be regenerated. Just had a look, a decent bike battery holds About 0,7kW, deliver support for 50 miles or and they take About 4 Hours to charge, so let's round up and say that by charging on the normal net you get a charge of 200 Watt per Hour. Assuming that a Regeneration delivers the same amount to the Battery. Therefore a 10 Minute Downhill journey would deliver 33w. That would mean that you would gain 2,35 mile per 10 minutes descent.