For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bert Presley

In any picture of the Japanese public, there are always a few people wearing surgical-type face masks.

I've always assumed that the wearing of such is to avoid the receiving (or spreading?) of airborne infection.

Does it work? Should we all be doing it? Are they worn at home? In bed? What happens in banks?

Just wondering...
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I visited Japan I read that it's because blowing your nose in public is considered extremely rude, so it's mostly that those with the masks have colds.
By Bert Presley
JonathanB wrote:When I visited Japan I read that it's because blowing your nose in public is considered extremely rude, so it's mostly that those with the masks have colds.

At the risk of being indelicate, if they can't or won't blow their noses, what happens to the snot?

Perhaps I'd rather not know?
By Colonel Panic
In Hong Kong, "snot" was deemed very dirty, possibly something to do with the devil? The locals thought the expats most strange and nasty for using a handkerchief. Taxi drivers had a clear plastic bag which they hung from the window winder on their door and would always gob in to that instead. #charming
By riverrock
My understanding is the original use was if you are contagious (cold /flu) but still had to travel / work it was good manners.
Since then it has become a social phonomenen: if you haven't had time to put makup on; you don't want to talk to others; fashion statement.
Some also use to keep their faces warm (rather than a scarf) or for hay fever.
By flybymike
I had assumed, evidently mistakenly, that they were worn to combat industrial air pollution.
By GolfHotel
riverrock wrote:China, India, yes but Japan generally has better air quality than the UK.

Ours will be better after Brexit. :D
By riverrock
Yep, when we are no longer being told I'd by someone for having poor air quality.

Took 13 posts before mentioning the B word. Better than normal.