For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The built in sat navs of most cars use steering sensor and wheel speed sensors to get an idea where you are when you lose GPS.
I hope he patented his idea :D
By Flyin'Dutch'
@riverrock

I bow to your greater knowledge and wasn't sure that was still the case, in the early days of car satnavs I know that with the US still having Selective Availability switched on and the therewith associated uncertainty, the satnavs in our Ambulances were still very reliant on wheelsensors.
By riverrock
The last few cars I've driven with built in "Sat-Nav" (hire cars: Opel, Volvo, Renault) knew where I was within tunnels, and unlike stand-alone sat-navs (which assume that you're continuing at the same speed along your chosen route within the tunnel to give an entire guess where you are)) knew when I had stopped within the tunnel and on one of them recognised when I hadn't followed the route it was telling me to follow (so knew when I was turning off, so must have known I'd turned the steering wheel).
Probably more accurate than an INS.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By OCB
(shamelessly nicked Queen joke)

I downloaded a pirate copy of the Bohemian Rhapsody film. Obvious was a copy, all I see is a little silhouetto of a man....