For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
johnm wrote:I remember Amazon starting up as on-line book shop. In their current guise they're not very popular with Mrs Johnm as they take 60% margin on books leaving little for publisher and author. So when people ask about buying her book she either sells direct or guides them to High St bookshops.

Are you sure about the 60% figure, John? Doesn't square with what I've been told.
By PeteSpencer
Never buy shoes from Amazon.

For years Ive bought the same style brown all over Sebago Docksider boaty mc boat shoes from a bijou little shoe shop in Burnham Market aka Chelsea on Sea..

At Chelsea on sea prices .

So when I saw exact same style colour size etc much cheaper on Amazon I ordered a pair.

Big mistake I guess my feet have grown from 42 which I’ve been for years because they were too small.

So I sent them back and ordered size 43 : they arrived- perfect fit except white soles and laces . I looked a serious dick .

So they’ve gone back too, for a refund and I’m awaiting my next trip to bijou shop in Chelsea on Sea, which of course I will combine with lunch of best oysters in the land at the Hoste Arms.....

Peter
(There’s a silver lining in every cloud) :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
My first Amazon order was 2002.

Never footwear, I get all my loafers from Transair or Anglia Farmers

Rob P
skydriller, kanga liked this
By Sooty25
stevelup wrote:I've just had a look through my order history. 2003 here too - some games and CDs.

Occasional purchases here and there - just two or three per year for a while.

You can certainly see when they introduced Prime because there are then orders almost every week from that point onwards!

So you are happy to actively support a huge corporation that does its damdest to avoid tax in this country, whilst objecting to a few quid in cash on the black market?

stevelup wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Spent more cash tonight than I have in a long time! :D

Yep, and what are the odds of any of it being declared to HMRC.

You're effectively a criminal accomplice - probably to organised crime :lol:

Skylar White's car wash is a drop in the ocean compared to these wurst-pushers.
By Colonel Panic
Sooty25 wrote:So you are happy to actively support a huge corporation that does its damdest to avoid tax in this country...

Hmmm, are there any companies that don't? It is the rules that need fixing, not the outcomes.
PaulB, Flyin'Dutch', JAFO and 2 others liked this
By stevelup
Sooty25 wrote:So you are happy to actively support a huge corporation that does its damdest to avoid tax in this country, whilst objecting to a few quid in cash on the black market?

I'm worried that I'm sat here explaining to you that my post to Paul was a joke. Something which clearly everybody else understood...
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Redspan
Me too, 1999.

They also let me know a weeks ago that I now have the ability to display my own storefront of choice products. I hadn't asked for it, although I did once try selling on Amazon.

So I can lay out recommended products in categories and might earn some commission if anyone buys from them.

This is different to the conventional affiliate links with their awkward embed code and small pictures.