For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
The discrimination pendulum had been pushed away from racism, sexism, ageism etc over a few generations.
It’s a function of economic health that societies become more open.

I’m afraid it’s swinging back, baby boomers are now envied or seen as a burden on the young, foreigners of all kinds, not just the brown ones, are now being looked on with suspicion. The referendum added to the latter.

Post Brexit UK will be worse off, at least for a while. I think the pendulum will be pushed further backwards because of this. Some healing will be needed after the break or the backward swing will worsen. But no politician seems bothered by this as they seek to protect only their own positions.
Jim Jones wrote:...baby boomers are now envied or seen as a burden on the young,

Jim, that does seem to be a widely held view, however I don't see the evidence of it. It seems in every direction I look the baby boomers are supporting the 'entitled young generation'.
By Cowshed
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
tomshep wrote:Quite apart from destroying my future, they are intent upon destroying this country with their perverted idealism.

Well, my daughter would certainly agree to the first part of that statement. Whether it turns out so or not, she strongly feels that her options have been closed down. Time will tell.

As to the second point in that sentence, it rather expresses how I feel. Again time will tell. [I'm aware the word 'idealism' can be used for Remainers, but I'm writing as I see things from my perspective and experience of the world].

Edit: to include the correct portion of Tom's statement.
tomshep wrote:Representative of. How does that extrapolate to all of?
It doesn't so your point is ridiculous.

This is how;

tomshep wrote:Brexit has made racism perfectly acceptable in the minds of the 52%.

A statement that rather than revoke, you have defended.
By Cowshed
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote: It seems in every direction I look the baby boomers are supporting the 'entitled young generation'.

Arguably that is because more and more of them are stuggling to do things that we did relatively easily, such as buy a first home in our 20s without having to have help from parents, the government or housing associations.

The average house price in Tower Hamlets last year was £584,000! Ludicrous (but good if you got on the property ladder a while ago)

source: https://www.foxtons.co.uk/living-in/tower-hamlets/

Facinating how this topic has evolved...
Cowshed wrote:Arguably that is because more and more of them are stuggling to do things that we did relatively easily, such as buy a first home in our 20s without having to have help from parents, the government or housing associations.

Equally arguably it is because doing things the way 'we' did (it wasn't easy for me) is not good enough for them as their entitlement is new home, new furniture, new car, new mobile phone, designer clothes and oh must keep up the foreign holidays. :D

Irrespective, the baby boomers are not a burden on the young as suggested.
Miscellaneous wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:...baby boomers are now envied or seen as a burden on the young,

Jim, that does seem to be a widely held view, however I don't see the evidence of it. It seems in every direction I look the baby boomers are supporting the 'entitled young generation'.

That’s the trouble with attitudes, they respond poorly to realities that contradict them.

Supporting the young generation may itself create resentment, especially when muttering ‘when I was your age I had my own house’ etc etc

And resentment at the success of immigrants is part of what is happening now .
Cowshed wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote: It seems in every direction I look the baby boomers are supporting the 'entitled young generation'.

Arguably that is because more and more of them are stuggling to do things that we did relatively easily, such as buy a first home in our 20s without having to have help from parents, the government or housing associations.

The average house price in Tower Hamlets last year was £584,000! Ludicrous (but good if you got on the property ladder a while ago)

source: https://www.foxtons.co.uk/living-in/tower-hamlets/

Facinating how this topic has evolved...

Was there ever a time when an average person in their 20s bought an average priced house in central London? Or in the regions for that matter.
Jim Jones wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:

That’s the trouble with attitudes, they respond poorly to realities that contradict them.

Supporting the young generation may itself create resentment, especially when muttering ‘when I was your age I had my own house’ etc etc

Hold on a cotton pickin' minute there Jim. How does supporting the young burden them?