For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By The Admin Team
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
The post most recently referred to was locked at the request of the OP, who did not care for its direction. (The OP is content for us to tell you that).

It's very rare that we do that.
kanga liked this
By Bill Haddow
I've had post / thread donking and while I don't object to the principle per se, could we not have a mod insertion of "post / thread" deleted, perhaps with a brief reason given?

A PM to the donkee (sorry, couldn't resist that neologism :wink: ) giving the reason would be a nice courtesy, and not too onerous on the hard pressed mods.

I've commented previously on understanding the commercial considerations prevailing. I don't think I've ever been personally offensive to a forumite, but when Political Correctness becomes Political Rectitude, then forgive me if, in the words of Johst , entsichere ich meine Browning

Bill H
By The Admin Team
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Bill Haddow wrote:...and not too onerous on the hard pressed mods.

I'm afraid it would be.

It takes enough effort as it is for the mods to monitor and manage the forums.

Much of that effort (helping with forgotten logins, dealing with ever-increasing cunning by spammers, dealing with reported posts...) is not publicly seen, but it goes on.

Every mod has a day job; every mod is a volunteer.

If you do get a PM or an explanation of some decision, that's because the particular mod has chosen to do it and it is usually in the spirit of helpfulness (not always seen that way). But sorry - you can't expect it every time.

When an entire thread has been deleted (as opposed to being locked), given what has historically caused that to happen, then in those instances I think the average poster will usually be able to work out why after a moments' thought.
kanga liked this