For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Boxkite
Anybody here affected by the O2 (or their dependencies) outage?
Perhaps it would be easier to ask if anyone on these networks has not been affected..........(if you're on a different network no need to say you're OK, unless you feel the need to gloat :D )
Wife and I, both on Giff Gaff, have no 'G's of any sort.
Even text messages seem to fail on sending, though they are received at the other end OK it seems.
By Jim Jones
I’ve been out and about in Leeds today, shopping with Mrs Jim. No data but voice calls ok thank goodness or she will never have located me. Used the WiFi in John Lewis and The Ivy. Email from work suggests it is a HUGE problem affecting several countries.

Exiting the high tech car park took 20 minutes. The exit was being manually operated when we got to it, don’t know if it’s connected to O2s problems.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It appears to be a duff software upgrade on Ericsson kit used to supply services to O2 and others
By JonathanB
Where is Sengupta when you need him?

Rubbish service all day for me and the Mrs on voice as well as no data. (GiffGaff users).
By rikur_
johnm wrote:It appears to be a duff software upgrade on Ericsson kit used to supply services to O2 and others

You might know more than me (which is not a lot, as all I've done is read some tech forums) .... but the story elsewhere implies that this wasn't a change, but was in-situ software that contained a security certificate which had an expiry date/time of this morning. This would certainly be consistent with the multiple failures in different countries/networks at the same time, as seems unlikely that network operators worldwide would all be making updates at the same time. There's clearly a bit more to it than that as to why the fix is taking so long, clearly not simply a case of copying across a new certificate.
johnm liked this
By TheFarmer
I tried calling Sengupta a few hours ago. Needless to say he (uncharacteristically) Jung up on me. I called him to tell him to sort it out.

Maybe his Barbados Christmas bonus is at risk for screwing up the software.... :D
By TheFarmer
:D

When Paul hung his phone up before answering, it went to a Vodafone voicemail.

Made me laugh bearing in mind he’s Mr Ericsson/O2. :lol:
By Colonel Panic
After some Astra driving eejit demolished our telegraph pole over the weekend & cut our landline I went out an bought an o2 dongle for a standby. With the latter also failing yesterday I decided to set up my office in a local Waitrose cafe. I then discovered that their Wi-Fi is “powered by o2”. All in all a less than productive day ... :oops:
By nallen
TheFarmer wrote:Needless to say he … Jung up on me.

A non-Freudian slip?
Charles Hunt, kanga, cockney steve and 2 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
JonathanB wrote:Where is Sengupta when you need him?

Hello!

Right, ok, where do I start...? :D

TheFarmer wrote:I tried calling Sengupta a few hours ago. Needless to say he (uncharacteristically) Jung up on me. I called him to tell him to sort it out.

Ah, sorry, I didn't hang up, I would have been driving down the M4 at the time to a Christmas curry, and only saw your missed call when I got home about half past midnight!

TheFarmer wrote:Maybe his Barbados Christmas bonus is at risk for screwing up the software.... :D

Christmas bonus? I thought those sort of things went out on fashion in the days after Dickens?! :D

My Christmas "bonus" involves working overtime trying to get as much done before end of year as possible!

TheFarmer wrote:When Paul hung his phone up before answering, it went to a Vodafone voicemail. Made me laugh bearing in mind he’s Mr Ericsson/O2. :lol:

Ah, you have to remember I was Mr Ericsson/Vodafone for a while. But our corporate accounts for phone provision are varied and I just happen to be on Vodafone.

johnm wrote:It appears to be a duff software upgrade on Ericsson kit used to supply services to O2 and others

As has been said, it was more old software with an old certificate which hadn't been upgraded/updated. I have no inside information on this on how it came to be or how no one realised it was going to expire. It's not my immediate area, my immediate area being more on the radio side.