Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By Flyin'Dutch'
The Hunt/Johnson debate was a real tear jerker.

Both are bent and compromised, Bojo the better orator but sadly without substance.
johnm liked this
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:Getting more distant from the "cousins" can only be a good thing...

Since the USA is the UK's largest export partner, and the UK has doesn't have a trade agreement with them despite being in a large and supposedly powerful trade bloc, that's not a great approach at the moment when the UK and USA both say they want to put one in place very soon.

The whole leaked memo affair is bizarre, though it says nothing beyond what most of us like to think. That said, the USA seems to be doing rather well with a mouthy narcissist in the White House, so either the Ambassador's memo wasn't quite as incisive as people like to think, or the role of government is massively overrated.

It would be fun for every nation to release the equivalent memos about everyone else so we can all see what's really being said about each other. :)
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:
johnm wrote:Getting more distant from the "cousins" can only be a good thing...

Since the USA is the UK's largest export partner, and the UK has doesn't have a trade agreement with them despite being in a large and supposedly powerful trade bloc, that's not a great approach at the moment when the UK and USA both say they want to put one in place very soon.

The whole leaked memo affair is bizarre, though it says nothing beyond what most of us like to think. That said, the USA seems to be doing rather well with a mouthy narcissist in the White House, so either the Ambassador's memo wasn't quite as incisive as people like to think, or the role of government is massively overrated.

It would be fun for every nation to release the equivalent memos about everyone else so we can all see what's really being said about each other. :)

Hmmm 18% of our exports go to the USA around 40% to the main EU countries not counting the others where we have trade deals through the EU, so I rather think it's the political relationship that we should be thinking about and that is uneasy. We're always going to be the junior partner and we'll just be exploited more and more as we become weaker and weaker because of our poor quality of politicians.

In what sense the US is doing well I'm not sure, is it economic, social or political??
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:
Since the USA is the UK's largest export partner

That is blatantly not true. The EU (soon to be) federal state is.

eltonioni wrote: That said, the USA seems to be doing rather well with a mouthy narcissist in the White House,

The US economy is doing well measured by GDP and stock market.

The cost for that is enormous social division, millions of americans without health care, and many living in abject poverty despite working several jobs, and an amoral lawless executive riding roughshod over the land's laws and conventions, with a narcissist in charge who cosy with international psychopaths and federal convicts.
johnm liked this
By kanga
eltonioni wrote:..the UK has doesn't have a trade agreement with them.. the UK and USA both say they want to put one in place very soon. ..

er, the 'USA' has not said this; the current US President has. However, as I've mentioned here I think, bilateral agreements must involve Congress (Treaties - which can be enforced in Federal courts - explicitly, the Senate). In both Houses, not only is every Representative/Senator unapologetically inclined and expected by their District/State to be committed to their own areas first and well before any 'national' interest, but in both Houses there is a permanent anti-British cadre, small but often influential. No President, even an undivisive and respected one at the best of times in the bilateral relationship, can wave a magic wand and grant a trade agreement.
Flyin'Dutch', johnm liked this
By JAFO
United States $45.2B
Germany $38.6B
Netherlands $24.9B
France $24.8B
China $21.9B

Yup, looks like the US is the biggest to me.
By Sooty25
eltonioni wrote:I really must point out that the EU is not a country.

Yet! :twisted:
By Flyin'Dutch'
JAFO wrote:United States $45.2B
Germany $38.6B
Netherlands $24.9B
France $24.8B
China $21.9B

Germany, the Netherlands and France all trade with the UK according to a common set of rules, as do the other 23 one, most using a single currency as well.

To suggest that the US is the UK's biggest trading party is just churlish.
By johnm

Or, are we now all agreed that people and businesses trade, not nations or trade blocs? Come on gents, which way is it, make your mind up. :lol:

The EU is not a country but it is a single market and so trade is sensibly measured across the whole. Moreover as a member we benefit from preferential arrangements with around 50 other markets. Thus a market for 18% of our exports is quite a lot less interesting than a market for upwards of 40%.
By johnm
Sooty25 wrote:

Yet! :twisted:

You and I will be long gone before this stands a chance of happening, so it’s none of our business, it’s a matter for our grandchildren. 8)
PaulB liked this
By JAFO
johnm wrote:The EU is not a country but it is a single market and so trade is sensibly measured across the whole.

Which must mean that the US is our largest export market as we are not exporting to other member states but are part of that single market.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By JAFO
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
JAFO wrote:United States $45.2B
Germany $38.6B
Netherlands $24.9B
France $24.8B
China $21.9B

Germany, the Netherlands and France all trade with the UK according to a common set of rules, as do the other 23 one, most using a single currency as well.

To suggest that the US is the UK's biggest trading party is just churlish.

I didn't suggest it was the biggest trading party, I suggested that it was the largest export partner.
By PaulB
JAFO wrote:
johnm wrote:The EU is not a country but it is a single market and so trade is sensibly measured across the whole.

Which must mean that the US is our largest export market as we are not exporting to other member states but are part of that single market.

Yes absolutely.... it’s the largest export market we have (apart from the one that’s bigger)

We’ll get a great deal from President “America First” Trump. (Kanga’s comments re congress noted)
johnm liked this
By PaulB
Irrespective of the size of the export market, is the U.K. the US’s closest partner due to its “special relationship”?

Not any more apparently......