Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By Flyingfemme
I don’t think it’s much different in the UK to the rest of the world. Politics is going to hell in a handcart and a way forward, without violence or totalitarianism, is not obvious. Instead of hereditary despots we now have lying, elected despots.
cockney steve, Robin500 liked this
By PaulB
What did people think of the economist video about lying/misleading/bullsh.... posted earlier?

How do we over come that? Are the media partly to blame by obsessing over minutiae (like whether someone did drugs at Uni) and changes of views over time.... we all do that.

.... and then there is the effect of dark social media!
By Flyin'Dutch'
Flyingfemme wrote:I don’t think it’s much different in the UK to the rest of the world. Politics is going to hell in a handcart and a way forward, without violence or totalitarianism, is not obvious. Instead of hereditary despots we now have lying, elected despots.

There are other democracies which don't grab the headlines with their dysfunctionality whereby the processes are going off without the circus like ambiance which currently characterises UK and US politics.

Voter disengagement and disenfranchisement are sadly a problem there too.
Newfy liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Boris' minders have decided he best not attend so as not to trip himself up; but if you are looking for inspiration and hope for the UK's future don't skip this.

By eltonioni
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: There are other democracies which don't grab the headlines with their dysfunctionality

Did you have any particular ones in mind? China, Russia, NK, Cuba maybe? :? One outstanding thing about democracy is that it is a living breathing thing that channels human nature for the times, which can only be imperfect, as evidenced by those nations that seek some kind of perfect society, inevitably through suppression and oppression of democracy.
By Flyin'Dutch'
There is imperfection and there is omnishambles as currently demonstrated by the Westminster bubble.

Don't know if you managed to sit through the 'debate' on C4 last night but to think that out of that lot + Bojo the Leadership for the journey through the next 2 years will be picked doesnt give me any confidence whatsoever that all will be well. Brexit or otherwise.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Colonel Panic wrote:Something tells me that FD's preferred solution would be for the EU to run the UK.

It could hardly be any worse.

'We need to be out by 31/10 because if we are not the Tory Party is toast'

Where in that sentence is the national best interest?

Rory Stewart seems the most sensible person but unlikely to offer sound bites small enough to be understood by the party faithful.
By eltonioni
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: 'We need to be out by 31/10 because if we are not the Tory Party is toast'

Not having Corbyn / McDonnell instead. Not a great answer I grant you, but that's the bottom line.

Flyin'Dutch' wrote: Rory Stewart seems the most sensible person but unlikely to offer sound bites small enough to be understood by the party faithful.

Rory is barking mad though.
By johnm
The will of the people is the will of the government and vice versa. The modern structure of the State is a higher form of democracy [ennobled democracy] in which, by virtue of the people’s mandate, the government is exercised authoritatively while there is no possibility for parliamentary interference, to obliterate and render ineffective the execution of the nation’s will."

I came across this quote recently it is from one Joseph Goebbels after the German referendum in 1933. Given the remarks of some folk involved in a leadership contest I thought it apposite....
By johnm
Rory is barking mad though.
. Any examples??
By Colonel Panic
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:'We need to be out by 31/10 because if we are not the Tory Party is toast'

FWIW I most certainly don't agree with your first sentence, but the reality is a Labour government most certainly isn't in the national interest either.
By kanga
[usual disclaimer]

.. I have seen some comment from seasoned political reporters to the effect that:

a. there is a traditional sentiment among paid-up Conservative member (the only 'constituency' that matters in this context, however small it be) which favours those with a military 'hinterland'; and

b. in the same 'constituency', often a significant number of older women, who are also disproportionately influential because of the work they do in their Constituency organisations year-round, who may have an instinctive antipathy towards unfaithful husbands; someone called it the "ex-wives' club" :roll: I knew very well the deserted ex-wife of a Conservative MP (he had left her for one of his colleague's wives), who nevertheless remained resolutely loyal to the Party, and may have remained a member of it.

Without seeking to comment on the relative merits of any of the candidates, if Johnson and Stewart are the final two these factors might give Stewart an edge
By Flyin'Dutch'
Mon Colonel, and neither do I but it was stated by a number of the participants in the discussion yesterday!

Hence my comment.

I doubt that Corbyn c.s. will be able to win a GE to the extent that they can govern without having some sensible coalition Partners.