Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By johnm
The really scary bit here is that apparently there are people who think "No deal" and "remain" are congruent...... :shock:
By Flyin'Dutch'
Apart from that the EU has Always made it clear they would be happy for the article 50 application to be withdrawn by the UK so that the UK can remain without changes to the current Agreements/treaties.
By PaulB
map5623 wrote:So back to the "EU gravy train"

OK... so what exactly is this gravy train?
By RichardPearse
It's a train. With gravy on it.

(Hey, it makes about as much sense as every other soundbite about Brexit and the EU, don't shake your head like that.)
By profchrisreed
If our Members of Parliament could regain some sense of integrity, they would realise that when standing for election they promised their constituents to represent them by making decisions which they honestly believed were in the national interest. They would see the referendum result as a request by UK citizens for Parliament to find a way to leave the EU.

Now there is a proposal for how that could be done (albeit vague with lots of uncertainties). Parliament's duty is to decide whether they can honestly recommend it in the national interest. If they can't, they need to decide what to do next.

That would leave Parliament with two choices - remain, or hard Brexit. I don't think an honest Parliamentarian could make either choice on the basis of the 2016 referendum, because those weren't clearly the choices which were presented then. But they would be entitled to do so if they honestly could.

If not, an honest "we can't do what we think you wanted, so all we can do is present you with two clear choices" would be a basis for a referendum which I think quite a few of those whom I know voted for Brexit might see as legitimate.

The key to a perceivedly legitimate second referendum is honesty on the part of our Parliamentarians - at the moment, I see little signs of that honesty in the way they are currently going about this matter.
Dave W liked this
By JoeC
I am a remainer and deeply sad and worried that we are leaving the EU. However, I do not want a second referendum as that would be too divisive and, as others have said, you can't keep asking the question until you get the answer you want.

After March the spotlight can move towards what a mess the Tories have made of the country in the last eight years and we can get on with building a country that we deserve.
By riverrock
The referendum was based on a lot of conjecture and few facts.
Once the facts are established (between deal, no-deal Brexit and no-Brexit) it seems sensible to have a referendum on those facts, rather than all of the conjecture, as people didn't know what "leaving the EU" meant (so individuals could say what ever they wanted during the campaign).
Of course, if we did have another referendum, the facts would again be in dispute :roll:

So the question is, is there a chance that 634,751 people would vote in a different way than before?
By johnm
So the question is, is there a chance that 634,751 people would vote in a different way than before?

The received wisdom is that this isn't the point. Apparently oldies are Leavers and youngsters are Remainers in general (so I'm clearly young at heart despite being aged :D ) and therefore approx. 1.5 million leavers have died and about 1.5 million young remainers have made it onto the electoral roll since 2016
Katamarino liked this
By johnm
riverrock wrote:but presumably, then, 1.5 million young 'uns are now oldies...

Do you become anti EU as you grow older? I have no idea, but I'm definitely against the trend if that's the case :D
riverrock, Smaragd liked this
By Smaragd
PaulB wrote:
map5623 wrote:So back to the "EU gravy train"

OK... so what exactly is this gravy train?

RichardPearse wrote:It's a train. With gravy on it.

(Hey, it makes about as much sense as every other soundbite about Brexit and the EU, don't shake your head like that.)

I received this on my annual tax summary statement a couple of years ago:

Seems quite a meagre portion of gravy, really - hardly the oodles that would help out the NHS, as had been suggested by Boris et al - and dwarfed by the loss in value of the pound as a result of the referendum!
By PaulB
*Fake News*

:-)
Smaragd liked this
By Sooty25
Cessna57 wrote:
We won the war.....

Nobody "won" the war, we just didn't come last.
Cessna57 liked this