Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By OCB
Colonel Panic wrote:Mike - you will never run out of things to blame Brexit on if you go looking for them. Not sure it'll do your body & soul any good mind.

I see that the Maid of the Loch broke free and slipped back in to Loch Lomond earlier today. Wouldn't have happened if the country had voted Remain as they would have been able to afford stronger ropes...

Actually, it was because the superior BSI rope standards had been replaced by self-certified CE guff, but that wouldn't have happened if the UK had been more engaged in rope regulation committees at a European level for the past 40 years....
PaulB liked this
By Cessna57
I just wish people would stop being so negative.

12 weeks till we start working out what to spend the £350 million a WEEK on.

I think the first week we shouldn’t spend it on anything serious, just on drinks, or fireworks, how about £10 million on fireworks on the Thames, then say 20 million on putting the other Lancaster into the Sky. Free drinks at the Thames, £20 million?

£300 million left.

That only buys 600 x £500k houses, so not worth spending it on anything serious.

Maybe we should spend it on fast cars, or art, each to their own.

After the first week I think we need to start spending it on the NHS and food banks etc.

We’re going to be rolling in it shortly aren’t we.
Cowshed, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
Some of us aren't negative, just realistic and trying to understand problems so they can be addressed systematically, but there aren't enough of us to cope with all the opinionated people wasting resources on prejudices and fantasies :twisted:
By Pete L
OCB wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Mike - you will never run out of things to blame Brexit on if you go looking for them. Not sure it'll do your body & soul any good mind.

I see that the Maid of the Loch broke free and slipped back in to Loch Lomond earlier today. Wouldn't have happened if the country had voted Remain as they would have been able to afford stronger ropes...

Actually, it was because the superior BSI rope standards had been replaced by self-certified CE guff, but that wouldn't have happened if the UK had been more engaged in rope regulation committees at a European level for the past 40 years....

Nah...engage in the regulation but then get them tested by a qualified lab as far into Central Europe as you can find. One of the fun things about the modern system is that the testers compete with each other. So no dealing with the BSI bloke trying to catch you out.
By PaulB
Paywall :-(

This is odd as I've posted FT links that I've been able to read that others have said lead to a paywall for them. Is this another case where the OP can read the article but the rest of us can't?
By eltonioni
Discovering that the FT has a paywall after so many years does indicate how often one reads the FT. :lol:

It's not clear which bit of the article is about the Neverendum. Could it be this section?

One classic study asked three-to-eight-year-old boys and girls whether they wanted to be fathers or mothers when they grew up. Unsurprisingly, boys four or older wanted to become fathers, and girls four or older wanted to become mothers. Three-year-old boys and girls were different. As expected, most of the girls wanted to become mothers. But, unexpectedly — so did the majority of the boys.

In other words, for a period of his childhood, a boy will want to be a woman. And it is upon this foundation — the desire to be a woman — that masculinity is built.

In our “girls like pink, boys like blue” world, a boy quickly learns that he is expected to feel whole and confident of his masculinity. His feelings may be conflicted, shifting, but he is expected to conceal this internal struggle from others as well as himself. A “sissy”, “mama’s boy” or “wimp” will be shamed and humiliated, sometimes assaulted. To have a masculine identity, a boy must reject what he once loved.
By Mike Tango
Worry not about me, Mon Colonel. Worry more that this supposed major world economy in the 21st century cannot ensure the needs of its most vulnerable, young or old.

Brexit or no brexit it’s shameful.

PaulB liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Couldn't have said it better myself:

Cowshed liked this
By Cessna57
johnm wrote:Some of us aren't negative, just realistic and trying to understand problems so they can be addressed systematically, but there aren't enough of us to cope with all the opinionated people wasting resources on prejudices and fantasies :twisted:

My bad,

I wasn’t being serious, I know that some believe it (but then again, some people think the Earth is flat)

It’s such a laughable notion that the Earth is flat that I wouldn’t bother putting smilies on a post about it while making fun of the viewpoint.

It’s such a laughable notion that we are going to be better off at all, let alone £250 Million a week better off, that I didn’t use smilies.

Tbh, sometimes it just shows how farcical Brexit is, when you post something obviously ridiculous, and some people think you’re being serious.

Does anyone in the country really actually believe we are going to be better off?

It’s like they’re saying we are going to be worse off but it doesn’t matter.

It’s weird, there was an MP earlier who said he couldn’t vote to make his constituents poorer with a clear conscience.

My thought was that he doesn’t need to worry, they’ve already voted to be poorer themselves! They’ve already accepted they will be.

makes absolutely no sense to me, seriously, no sense.
By PaulB
“Could we get over feeling sorry for Theresa May”

Ouch!
Flyin'Dutch', karlbown liked this