Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
... and it never rains, but it pours for Grayling.

Eurotunnel are now complaining that the recently announced extra ferry contracts are anti competitive.

By Flyin'Dutch'
Pete L wrote:So please justify why Luxembourg is permitted lower tax rates and gain benefits of EU membership. The island defence is hardly valid in Luxembourg's case, and if it miraculously became a basket case because of insufficient funds, the EU would give it structural money.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

The UK is perfectly welcome to set it's own taxes.

Therefore the UK has a lower income tax than the Netherlands and Germany, but a higher VAT rate, it also charge NI as a tax on income, others don't. The Corporation Tax is set by individual countries and again set at various levels.

The Irish and Dutch amongst the lowest.

There has been some move to equalise this to have a more level playing field across the EU but member states have pointed to their sovereignty on matters taxation and the Tax Havens which are getting protected by some of their masters.

Tariffs however are a different matter and the deal is no tariffs between EU Member States.
By johnm
So please justify why Luxembourg is permitted lower tax rates and gain benefits of EU membership. The island defence is hardly valid in Luxembourg's case, and if it miraculously became a basket case because of insufficient funds, the EU would give it structural money.

As I keep saying, that's not the point. No-one pretends that the EU isn't equipped with its share of problems, inconsistencies, corruption and errors, just as the UK and pretty much every other country and international body is.

The point is the need for an answer to the question "So how will Brexit make things better?" So far we've only seen things getting worse....
By Bill Haddow
Cessna57 wrote:
PS. Debenhams are in big trouble. They may go next.

And of course if enough people make that prediction, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy !

I think the problem is more due to the general demise of the department store. How long will Underwoods last, and what will Jennidahling do when it closes ?

Bill H
johnm, kanga liked this
By Mike Tango
I wish more people seemed to give a monkey about the illegality around the democratic process.

Doesn't matter what the result is if we are in effect happy to be a corrupt banana republic, able to be be bought and sold to the highest bidder.

We all lose.
johnm, PaulB, kanga and 3 others liked this
By Pete L
We've permitted that for years, retaining control of our own banana republics to recycle the cash through.

One of the reasons I favoured Euro and EU membership was reducing the number of hiding places, but all the other big EU states maintain tax havens.
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:The state of the UK retail sector really has nothing to do with Brexit. Taking JL, their annual shopfloor worker bonus used to be worth about a fifth of a year's wages years ago. Last year it was a few hundred quid.

JL have also just announced they are laying off 4500 people.
By stevelup
Which ultimately is due to plummeting sales in China, and a complete lack of preparedness in terms of dealing with the dieselgate aftermath...
By malcolmfrost
and also the flip flopping of UK policy on diesel cars, 10 years ago everyone was encouraged to buy them as CO2 was the issue, now it's particulates, so diesel is bad.....
London's new low emission zone won't help and JLR has heavily invested in diesel.
By Colonel Panic
I wish more people seemed to give a monkey about the illegality around the democratic process.

I am not aware of any illegalities but would be disappointed if there were any (to put it mildly). What I do know is that both sides told a lot of porkies (to put it mildly), and still do. But neither side has a monopoly on that.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
stevelup wrote:Which ultimately is due to plummeting sales in China, and a complete lack of preparedness in terms of dealing with the dieselgate aftermath...

Meanwhile in a different place:

Munich. In the first three quarters of the year, the BMW Group grew its worldwide sales by 1.3% (1,834,810 units), despite ongoing headwinds in several major sales regions
By masterofnone
Jaguar laying people off and generally finding life hard is not a surprise to anyone I know who has worked with Jaguar. As a company, they have many, many problems. I wouldn't blame it's board for trying to kitchen sink this news and attribute it to any extraneous factors that they can lay their hands on.
By Colonel Panic
Mike - you will never run out of things to blame Brexit on if you go looking for them. Not sure it'll do your body & soul any good mind.

I see that the Maid of the Loch broke free and slipped back in to Loch Lomond earlier today. Wouldn't have happened if the country had voted Remain as they would have been able to afford stronger ropes...
By Flyin'Dutch'
MT don't worry - they are calling for a 'Minister for Hunger' to be appointed.