Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By Sooty25
johnm wrote:
johnm wrote:If you want to be aggravated by trivial nonsense try the UK town and country planning system........

Edited to add: It may be worth pointing out that the Veggie issue is democracy at play and it seems that Parliament is being lobbied by the meat industry to stop veggies stealing their terminology :-) The electric car issue has also resulted in legislation in Japan and the USA, as a consequence of lobbying by blind people, so the EU is not alone.....

Well according to the Oxford dictionary.... veggieburger is valid!

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/burger
By johnm
I think you’ll find that the OED will go with the flow :D
By Nomad63
treborsnave wrote:Interesting feedback from a new Brexit Party MEP:

“Next to nobody in Brussels has any clue what the European Union truly stands for — beyond a flag and an anthem — and more crucially, where it is heading. And that includes the EU leaders and senior officials soullessly waddling through the corridors of power. When I arrived in the EU capital, I expected to find it brimming with activity and potential answers to these questions. Instead, I felt duped: Making a tangible impact on constituents’ lives is apparently not what being an MEP is all about.”

No, wait - it was a green party MEP.

https://www.politico.eu/article/magid-m ... -brussels/

I'm sure one of our self proclaimed resident experts can provide enlightenment
By johnm
Magid is a very interesting character and has been Mayor of Sheffield, where he was a bit controversial, though in a good way IMHO.

He is very much an idealist and more power to him for that, we need more like him, but an idealist in Brussels, Westminster, Washington, Berlin, Paris or pretty much anywhere else of similar ilk is going to find a level of disappointment.

I hope he gets over it and makes his presence felt as he did in Sheffield and the fact that his constituents took to him and voted for him is a hopeful sign. Throughout history it's people like him with belief, passion and brainpower that have changed things and we've seen few such in recent times.
By Sooty25
johnm wrote:I think you’ll find that the OED will go with the flow :D

Here lies your problem johm, if you can't concede to the stupidity of the EU getting involved over the use of the phrase veggieburger, I very much doubt you would concede to anything!
By johnm
Sooty25 wrote:
johnm wrote:I think you’ll find that the OED will go with the flow :D

Here lies your problem johm, if you can't concede to the stupidity of the EU getting involved over the use of the phrase veggieburger, I very much doubt you would concede to anything!

Since when did I defend it?? I merely highlighted how it was happening I didn't suggest it was a good thing. Parliamentary lobbying is a fact of life and reaches its peak of awfulness in Washington, but Brussels and Westminster are certainly not immune.

As to the OED they listen to usage and reflect it, they don't control it!
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:Magid is a very interesting character and has been Mayor of Sheffield, where he was a bit controversial, though in a good way IMHO.

He is very much an idealist and more power to him for that, we need more like him, but an idealist in Brussels, Westminster, Washington, Berlin, Paris or pretty much anywhere else of similar ilk is going to find a level of disappointment.

I hope he gets over it and makes his presence felt as he did in Sheffield and the fact that his constituents took to him and voted for him is a hopeful sign. Throughout history it's people like him with belief, passion and brainpower that have changed things and we've seen few such in recent times.

Not really. I’ve not heard anyone say that he’ll be missed from the council in an actual meaningful way, unless chairing full council meetings while wearing a sombrero, or having dubstep interludes between agenda items is your idea of meaningful.

Outside a very small virtue signalling woke group he’s thought of as a bit of a joke, but not very funny because he’s from the same pool of narcissists as Trump.
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:
johnm wrote:Magid is a very interesting character and has been Mayor of Sheffield, where he was a bit controversial, though in a good way IMHO.

Not really. I’ve not heard anyone say that he’ll be missed from the council in an actual meaningful way, unless chairing full council meetings while wearing a sombrero, or having dubstep interludes between agenda items is your idea of meaningful.

Outside a very small virtue signalling woke group he’s thought of as a bit of a joke, but not very funny because he’s from the same pool of narcissists as Trump.

That's a pity if so, we need a few idealists and he appeared to have some of the makings.... :(
By Flyingfemme
Bill Haddow wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:
. . . reverse charge VAT . . .

The charade of paying/claiming VAT at every step puts EU business at a disadvantage compared to foreign business. Why does VAT not work like sales tax in the USA and registered businesses don;t charge/pay each other?

As it is, I charge my customers VAT on my invoices and pay my suppliers the VAT on their invoices for goods/services. At the end of the period, I pay HMRC the difference.

There is to be a new "reverse charge" system imposed upon the construction industry in an attempt to tackle "missing trader" fraud. Under this, I will receive the VAT on my invoices only from customers who are not in the scheme, the remainder will pay this VAT directly to HMRC. I will pay the VAT on goods etc to my suppliers, but I will not pay the VAT on my sub-contractors' invoices to them; instead I will pay this directly to HMRC. At the end of the period, I will have to establish:

(VAT charged by me to all customers PLUS VAT charged to me by "scheme" sub-contractors) MINUS (VAT charged by me to "scheme" customers PLUS VAT charged to me by "non-scheme" suppliers) and pay that to HMRC.

Presumably I will have to keep records of who is supposed to be paying directly to HMRC etc. I think this is complicated, more scope for fraud, and would not lessen any disadvantage vis-a-vis lack of competitiveness.

Apologies for thread drift.

Bill H

Mad and ridiculous. As per usual, the most convoluted solution is sought and implemented. And isn’t this sort of thing exactly what the EU is supposed to sort out? The “level playing field”? They make plenty of VAT rules already.
The reverse charge is the most sensible and least-onerous solution I have seen and it helps with cashflow as well. At the moment we have a system which encourages EU businesses to source their most expensive supplies from other member states which has a huge impact on cashflow and distorts the domestic market. The fact that reverse charge is only generally applicable in cross border trading has given fraudsters an enormous opportunity that they have exploited enthusiastically while governments (and the EU) have just sat on their fat behinds, wringing hands and looking for more ways to persecute small business - like Bill and me.
Getting out is not necessarily a fix but it is a blank page and we are ever hopeful of better things.
By johnm
I fear @Flyingfemme you may be disappointed. Despite much pontificating HMG is no friend of small business whichever of the two traditional parties happen to be in power. Big business provides their trough and small business gives them an opportunity to be seen to be doing something. [/cynic]
By Flyin'Dutch'
Although VAT needs to be charged by countries that are member states of the EU, the way in which that is managed as well as the setting of the percentage above the minimum is up to the individual member states so any follies are the result of the HMRC's implementation, not the EU's
By PaulB
Back to Brexit, is this the way forward?

..... and wasn’t BoJo exposed for the lightweight he is by Andrew Neil yesterday?
By PeteSpencer
No, he wasn't ;he ran politician's rings around Neil who was offensive arrogant (I rarely use that word) and just plain rude.

He's a far better man to do the job on the Brussels mob compared to the hatchet man Hunt, who looks, acts and even sometimes speaks like a junior officer in the Waffen SS.
Don't forget the way he treated the junior doctors who for the first time in history were moved to strike and the same treatment his legacy now has lined up for senior doctors who, having held the NHS together for the last 12 years following the junior doctors slow exodus have now had enough.

Peter
Robin500 liked this
By PaulB
Interesting how different people’s biases make them interpret the same scene completely differently.

I with my biases) thought Hunt was far more measured, and he answered the questions posed meaning that Neil had no opportunity to rein him in.

Boris on the other hand was the same old Boris.... asked one question but deflecting it onto the point he wanted to make. Most interviewers let interviewees get away with this, but not Neil.

Then when pressed, he didn’t deliver. He’s hoping to rely on GATT 24 but clearly has been poorly briefed as his lack of understanding was laid bare. He just fails to acknowledge the his poor choice of words over the UK prisoner in Iran made a bad situation worse (despite accepting that his choice of words was poor & a mistake).

For the record - I don’t want either of them. Nor do I want Corbin.

The cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to leaders in politics at the moment.

Finally BoJo said that only 7% if the population could get fast broadband - even if he means fibre to the premises, is that correct?
JAFO liked this