For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
johnm wrote:The UK isn't a position to build a GNSS system on its own

We did. it was called Galileo! :D Paying for it on the other hand...but I guess that's a big part of "build"!

Do we have a copy of the drawings? :whistle:

Paul_Sengupta wrote: The driving force behind Galileo (if you'll excuse the pun) is un-spoofable road pricing for when electric car take up becomes significant.

If the only reason for it is spy on and tax the public, they can have it !
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If the only reason for it is spy on and tax the public, they can have it !

That was of course an idea suggested by the U.K. :D though we have so much ANPR surveillance we might not need it in the end.
Hope this doesn't have you reaching for your first handful!

It's a good job hospitals, mental health, social services, schools and the police aren't crying out for more funds, so we can afford to throw away the £1.2 billion we've invested in Galileo and still have plenty left for the £9 billion cost of reinventing the wheel ourselves. All for the sake of refusing to submit to the jurisdiction of the ECJ.

Brexit, the gift that keeps on taking!
PaulB, karlbown, Katamarino liked this
By stevelup
Hospitals, mental health, social services, schools and the police are doing just brilliantly at the moment.

Not subsidising the rest of ‘Europe’ will definitely make things worse.

Yes. Definitely.
By johnm
Indeed it will as the “subsidy” is dwarfed by the impact of currency fluctuations and slowing GDP growth ;-)
Smaragd liked this
stevelup wrote:Hospitals, mental health, social services, schools and the police are doing just brilliantly at the moment.

Not according to the people running them, but they're "experts", so what would they know!
The Brexiteers I know have now all swapped to “we’ll just make it here” for everything.

“Insulin?”

“We’ll just make it here”

“We have no factories/manufacture capability though”

“We’ll build some”

and it just goes on and on and on like this for anything I mention.

“Galileo?”

“We’ll build and launch our own”

“Oranges?”

“We’ll grow our own”

“Cars?”

“We’ll manufacture our own”

“Gas?”

“We’ll sink more wells into the North Sea”

It’s impossible to argue with fairyland logic. You can’t reason with it.

My favourite.

“Where’s the steel coming from to do all this?”

“We used to have British Steel, we’ll just rebuild the foundries”
johnm, JoeC, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
UpThere wrote:
stevelup wrote:Hospitals, mental health, social services, schools and the police are doing just brilliantly at the moment.

Not according to the people running them, but they're "experts", so what would they know!

I have a wife and a sister who work for the NHS and a brother in law who is an ambulance driver and was formerly a policeman.

Whole thing is being held together by good will of the staff at the minute. As I suspect are our schools.

We are in much worse shape than we think. Anyone who has had to call an ambulance recently or attend A&E with an actual problem other than a cut finger knows this.
UpThere, johnm, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By OCB
Part of the reason I voted leave was that, being a resident on the continent, I’ve seen the French, Germans, Belgians, Italians etc “play” the EU system and protect their steel, auto, shipbuilding, aviation, consumer goods manufacturing,nuclear, healthcare, agriculture, fishing industries etc.

So to say that the UK should stay in the EU because EU members played “beggar thy neighbour” is somewhat ironic...

Not implying the industrial decline of the UK was solely the fault of the EU, we all know that - but never underestimate how many EU members never have and never will “play by the rules”.

Moving out of any relationship is painful, and yes-moving costs money. I don’t see why any nation state should be tied ad infinitum to any trans-national economic organisation though.
Nick liked this
UpThere wrote:Hope this doesn't have you reaching for your first handful!

It's a good job hospitals, mental health, social services, schools and the police aren't crying out for more funds, so we can afford to throw away the £1.2 billion we've invested in Galileo and still have plenty left for the £9 billion cost of reinventing the wheel ourselves. All for the sake of refusing to submit to the jurisdiction of the ECJ.

Brexit, the gift that keeps on taking!

You should be rooting for a hard no deal Brexit, £39bn goes a long way.
By Flyin'Dutch'
OCB wrote: I don’t see why any nation state should be tied ad infinitum to any trans-national economic organisation though.

A fair few of your fellow Scotsmen agree with that point of view.

I probably don't understand it, but it seemed ironic to me that those who were the strongest voices to keep the Union together, in the lead up to the referendum on independence for Scotland are the same ones who are the strongest Brexit supporters.
johnm liked this
By johnm
Not implying the industrial decline of the UK was solely the fault of the EU, we all know that - but never underestimate how many EU members never have and never will “play by the rules”.

Rules are made for the guidance of wisemen and the blind obedience of fools, I’m not sure where that leaves those who gold plate the rules....... :roll:

However the state of the U.K. certainly involves a failure to take opportunities and mitigate problems and not just in respect of the EU.