For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:C57

I don't know where you read that someone has informed him that he can get full custody or even any custody etc.

The apparent issue is that the Local Authority has given an undertaking that he will be informed about the legal process and whereabouts of the child.

Granted..

I don’t mean custody do I?

I was referring to this

“ The local authority have advised the rapist father to apply for parental rights (not just visiting/access rights) over the child, leaving the mother unable to make decisions about the child's future without the consent of the father.”

Though I’m sure I read it reported that he can apply for all the rights, so she’ll be cut out of the loop.
The original mis step was the council choosing to view the girls concerned as willing participants rather than underage victims. In my opinion this was caused by human bias- the girls were “trouble” from troubled homes and the men were members of a minority which were protected by discrimination law. So it was easier to turn a blind eye than do the right but difficult thing

It’s ironic that in their desire to learn from the past, the council now finds itself trying to do the (legally) right thing rather than the easy thing - but now it favours the perpetrator of the original crime

Morally right and legally right are as is often the case not coincidental

There doesn’t seem to be a simple solution.
JoeC, kanga, riverrock and 2 others liked this