For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:SSD and have already done the managing bit - that is how it got from 10 to 15%.

You obviously didn't have as many copies of CAPS 393 &413 as I had! :lol:
stevelup wrote:FD, if your MacBook is running slow, then there's something wrong with it and it has nothing to do with your free disk space.

I haven't braved Mojave yet on my ancient MBP... speeds OK. Battery a bit rubbish, but I have to live with that.

None of this is helping JJ with his non Apple query, sorry, Jim.
Nevertheless...
Cloud storage may be an answer. I have iCloud as backup for key things on my iPhone and iPad plus SWMBOs stuff.

How well does it work for Windows stuff? . ( The majority of my work is on Windows-based kit, much though I desire Macbooks tactile pleasure), and is synchronisation easy?

I’ve got Virgin fibre and download at 70mpbs, upload at 5
Jim Jones wrote:Nevertheless...
Cloud storage may be an answer. I have iCloud as backup for key things on my iPhone and iPad plus SWMBOs stuff.

How well does it work for Windows stuff? . ( The majority of my work is on Windows-based kit, much though I desire Macbooks tactile pleasure), and is synchronisation easy?

I’ve got Virgin fibre and download at 70mpbs, upload at 5

If you're using an old version of Office it might be a good time to move to Office 365, then you'll get 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage as well as the latest Office suite for 5 people for about the same price as one Dropbox.
rikur_, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have a similar requirement for a new laptop to Jim who started this topic last year.

I currently work across two machines a MacbookAir and a Windows 10 desktop. I have a Cloud storage system which works across both machines and my iPhone (the storage is operated by my accountant, he offers it as a secure backup for his clients)

I want to release the MacbookAir for Mrs Avtur and replace it with a Windows laptop which will then be used on the move and in my office via separate keyboard and monitor. I'm looking at i5/i7 processor, 8RAM & 256SSD with 13 inch HD screen and backlit keyboard. After my (good) experience with the Macbook I'm very fussy about the feel of the keyboard and trackpad and have only found Dell to be anything like what I want. My standard test is to press the 'H' key and watch the keyboard bend. :(

The question I'm finding difficult to answer is where to buy? It's difficult to find anywhere beyond PC World or John Lewis. With these large retailers often carrying bespoke models with model numbers that can't easily be compared with any online offerings. Any thoughts?

Edit: budget £800 - £900
Last edited by avtur3 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By avtur3
stevelup wrote:Get a MacBook and stick windows on it?

I must admit that had crossed my mind, I could just about get an 8/256 MacBook Air, I've never seen the dual operating sytem running in the flesh, are there any compromises? Which is the best way to go about it?
By stevelup
There are two ways of running Windows on a Mac.

You can use virtualisation software and run Windows inside Mac OS - best of both worlds to be honest. You can use it as a Mac most of the time and just fire up Windows apps as and when you need them - albeit with a slight performance penalty.

Or, you can partition the hard drive and use BootCamp to actually boot into Windows (running directly on the hardware). This will get you the maximum possible performance for Windows, but it’s hassle rebooting all the time.

The performance of the virtualised solution is so good these days that bootcamp isn’t really needed. I run high end PCB (Altium) and CAD (Solidworks) software on my MacBook using VMware Fusion and have no problems at all.
By avtur3
My need is only for MS Office and a bit of photo editing. I've been subscribed to Office 365 almost since it became available. I'm noticing that the Windows versions are receiving far more improvements and updates than the Mac OS versions to the point where the Windows versions are becoming preferable.

I have two hosted Exchange email accounts and, to me, Exchange is by far better than Mail. Even the Windows photo program, now also called Photo, seems to have more finctionality than Photo on Mac OS.

I had problem recently where I was presenting at a training event alongside two colleagues using windows laptops, we were hot swapping our laptops with the projector. Each time I connected my MacBook Air the projector seemed to have a fit and was very difficult to set up. as a result I've decided that my moblie computing needs to be on the Windows platform.