Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
Miscellaneous wrote:Although I would like a pick up and it meets many requirements, it wouldn't be ideal for the longer journey and would completely fall over when it came to kayaking. :(

The bed on an F150 is certainly long enough to put your kayaks in 8)
And the large armchairs in a truck are certainly better than most cars for cruising back and forth on I-10...so I think a UK "longer journey" would be fine... :mrgreen:

Regards, SD..
By Rob P
Mercedes Pick-up?

Frankly, the world is your ostrich :D

Rob P
By Miscellaneous
Ooooh, those are both photographs of an oxymoron. :puker:

skydriller wrote:The bed on an F150 is certainly long enough to put your kayaks in 8)

My (sea) kayak is just over 5m long. :D
By Rob P
For heavens sake! There's no pleasing some people :evil:

And an MX5 will cover all the other bases, obviously.

Rob P
nallen liked this
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:@johnm I looked at the Outback previously, although I think lack of enthusiasm on the salesman's behalf stopped me pursuing my interest. I wouldn't be surprised if my initial interest was sparked by your own comments on the forum.

It does indeed meet many of the requirements, although it would be a backward step economically and is likely to be on the wrong side of acceptable grunt wise. It seems to me the 2018 model has an upgrade, shame its performance wasn't improved.

I have never driven one.

I have 2.5 litre petrol with automatic box it's a 2010 model and just passed 136,000 miles and got its second cam belt replacement as a reward! It returns 34.5 miles to the gallon driven within the speed limits (or pretty close) it will blast past things without too much trouble. It is as comfortable as my old Jaguar Sovereign on long drives across Europe and, fitted with winter tyres, goes anywhere we want for skiing, and thinks nothing of being driven into the wood and loaded with cordwood for logs.
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:It returns 34.5 miles to the gallon driven within the speed limits (or pretty close) it will blast past things without too much trouble.

Thanks John, with an initial 8 miles of effectively single track road and not the best of roads thereafter I think we would be nearer the 31.8mpg quoted for urban consumption, or maybe less. :shock: I suggest that's poor by today's standards.

Allowing for our different driving styles (concluded from contributions to various driving threads :D :wink: ) I'm not sure the grunt would meet my needs. Granted the 10sec+ 0-60 does not determine whether overtaking performance is sufficient, nor is it in itself critical, but I cannot help see it as an indication. I prefer my car to blast past with ease, rather than 'without too much trouble '.

There's no harm in having a look, I'll pop in to the Inverness dealer on Thursday. :thumleft:
By johnm
There was a 4.6 litre version of mine :D and I can tick along if the need arises I just don't need the adrenaline these days :D
By Miscellaneous
I don't have a great desire for adrenalin either John. Unfortunately sitting behind a queue of traffic where speed randomly varies from 0 - 50 as they kick up debris when drifting to the inside is more stressful...and dangerous.

The sooner the hire companies get self driving cars for tourists the better :D

Reminds me of heading off to discuss a new syndicate last week. Two young lasses stood in the middle of the road waving me down. On stopping I'm asked if I have a rope to pull them out. Initial thought (It was pitch black) was yet another in the ditch, however on further inspection I discovered they had given up trying to reverse the hire car out of a drive when they eventually let it roll forward until resting against the house. Being Americans my next thought was to check if it was a manual, it was. :wink: Jumped in, reversed it out and became an instant Superhero. :lol:

I honestly cannot over emphasise how bad they are.
johnm, Flyin'Dutch' liked this