For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
Somehow, to me, the “colourisation” seems to soften the horror. I will watch war footage over anything else when it aired on TV.
By Rob L
Bill McCarthy wrote:Somehow, to me, the “colourisation” seems to soften the horror. I will watch war footage over anything else when it aired on TV.

Blood is red, even in black and white.
By Miscellaneous
Bill McCarthy wrote:Somehow, to me, the “colourisation” seems to soften the horror. I will watch war footage over anything else when it aired on TV.

Absolutely agree, I put it down to my subconscious seeing the scenes as reenactment. We are so used to seeing them. I had to keep reminding myself it was real.

I think digitally enhancing it but leaving it black and white may have had more visual impact?
By Rob P
I have just caught up with this. I have to say it was pretty stunning.

OK, there were bits that hadn't scrubbed up as well as others, but over all it was a worthwhile exercise.

Rob P
Colonel Panic liked this
By OCB
Totally forgot to record it...now the annoying part of trying to get iPlayer to work from here in Foreignland.

Out of curiosity- did anyone see it in the cinema and “3D enhanced”?
By kanga
It was shown in selected cinemas last night nationwide in US, and is to have another such broadcast later this month, organised by these people

https://www.fathomevents.com/

My American contact, another military history geek but actually published (on a WW1 topic ), saw it. The movie theater she attended was sold out.

She was very impressed, but has not seen any US critics' reviews yet.
By OCB
I see a lot of media talk about how "yoof" *should* watch it.

I've yet to see some intelligent comment from "yoof" about what they think about the film.

My body might say otherwise, but I'm still the same obnoxious, cantankerous, bloody-minded "SOB" I've been since my early teens. I fully expect the current generation of youngsters to be as obnoxious, reactionary, pedantic as I was/am.

The mistake pretty much every "older" generation seems to unconciously make (that I've witnessed) is they equate the challenge as disrespect.

That challenge definitely was disrespect for certain generations before me, and I saw that. It wasn't their "fault" - generations of social order were built on that social order. It might not have been 'just', but them were the facts.

The value is in the worth of what they did, and at the same time why they did it.

I fear that with the passing of time, the stupidly academic sounding "social context" will be lost. The "what" will be the only thing to remain, but the "why" will (or has already) become a myth. Which upsets me :(

I'm a young, but old, fart. I take my young kids to CWGM sites at every chance I can. I encourage them to read out the names, ages etc. They're too young to make that "it could have been me" connection, but I can see with my oldest (9 yrs) that war isn't a video game....
eltonioni liked this