For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Ben
Flying_john wrote:We too have a 27yr old GloWorm KFB boiler that I installed when we moved here. I have kept it running with an occasional repair and would be interested to know how Bens 12k h (? ) was shown as the difference between heat input and heat output, as I have resisted the change after doing a back of an envelope efficiency calculation between the stated efficiency of the old boiler (yes I still have the spec sheet) and newer efficient condensing boilers and came to the conclusion that until it irreparably breaks the efficiency saving was not worth the cost of replacing it.

Simple.
It was on the data badge :lol:

My friend would love to pay £1100 P.A, he used to pay ~£4k.
By chevvron
Interesting occurence last wednesday; Ideal CE18 boiler.
Noticed about 8pm that the boiler was showing a caption ' -. ' and apparently wasn't heating; the led showing the burner was operating was flashing too so it was trying to light but failing.. Looked in my user manual and of course this caption isn't listed; only captions with letters like 'F/H' and similar. Decided not to phone Homeserve in case it was something temporary.
9.55 pm; electricity goes off. Phone SSE and they say we're on reduced voltage and have been for a couple of hours due to a 'fault' (we're in the countryside and often get problems due to tree growth affecting overhead transformers) and should be back on about 10.30pm. Came back on about 10.20 but on looking out of my window, there were SSE vans across the road which were still there at about 6 am.
At 8.30am, power goes off for about one minute. After a while I checked the boiler and it was operating normally again ie no fault captions.

So the question to the panel of experts on this thread is, would a reduced mains voltage be the reason the boiler wasn't lighting the previous evening?