Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
  • 1
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
User avatar
By Paul_Sengupta
#1747034
Personally I can, and do, work from home, so yes, I shall be working. In between bouts of reading the forum that is. Also probably working tomorrow night, though at the moment it's not decided whether it'll be Monday or Tuesday night.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Colonel Panic
#1747042
Miscellaneous wrote:Not a reason not to buy an EV, just a consideration.


Call me irresponsible, but that was an issue I never even considered when deciding to buy an EV.
Mike Tango liked this
User avatar
By Boing_737
#1747046
Miscellaneous wrote:Sitting in the dark kicking myself for not maintaining the generator it crossed my mind how many won't be able to use their car tomorrow. :?


Probably similar to those who can't drive their ICE vehicles because pumps don't work when there's no electricity.

Just because there isn't any grid power doesn't mean there wouldn't be any charge in an EVs battery. Most will have juice left at the end of the day much the same way a fossil fuel car will have fuel in the tank at the end of the day. Also once vehicle to grid becomes a thing, then you'd be able to user your battery powered car to run your home in a power outage....
By riverrock
#1747048
Indeed. Some cars already support it and the messaging system in Type 2 chargers was designed to be compatible with smart meters - however I don't think that there are any systems that can be bought for domestic purposes yet.
If I was worried about power cuts, I'd buy a generator and charge the car from that over night. I'm not worried (although I did make sure that the car was topped up before the storm hit - had to repair shed roof yesterday afternoon...)
Colonel Panic liked this
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1747053
As I already said I'm not suggesting power cuts are a reason not to buy an EV. The fact remains an ICE with half tanks and a problem with supply in the local area is more flexible than a half charged Tesla having to leave the same area to be charged.
By Mike Tango
#1747114
A half charged Tesla of the type I have on order should be good for around 150 miles. That’s really not too dissimilar to the V6 ICE on half petrol tank range it will be replacing, the difference is not great.
Colonel Panic liked this
User avatar
By Boing_737
#1747138
Why would a half charged Tesla need to leave the area to be charged? Surely a local journey isn't really going to be impacted by half a charge, and if on a longer journey you stop off at a fast or super charger to top off? It really isn't hard to wrap your head around - they have exactly the same impediments and associated solutions as ICE cars.
Mike Tango liked this
User avatar
By stevelup
#1747140
Miscellaneous wrote:As I already said I'm not suggesting power cuts are a reason not to buy an EV. The fact remains an ICE with half tanks and a problem with supply in the local area is more flexible than a half charged Tesla having to leave the same area to be charged.


I just can't reconcile your logic at all. I don't see what the difference is?
Mike Tango liked this
User avatar
By PaulB
#1747166
stevelup wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:As I already said I'm not suggesting power cuts are a reason not to buy an EV. The fact remains an ICE with half tanks and a problem with supply in the local area is more flexible than a half charged Tesla having to leave the same area to be charged.


I just can't reconcile your logic at all. I don't see what the difference is?


Couldn't a half charged Tesla feed power back into your house (with the appropriate gubbins in the house) making it far more useful than an ICE car during a power cut?
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1747167
stevelup wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:As I already said I'm not suggesting power cuts are a reason not to buy an EV. The fact remains an ICE with half tanks and a problem with supply in the local area is more flexible than a half charged Tesla having to leave the same area to be charged.


I just can't reconcile your logic at all. I don't see what the difference is?


Half tank of fuel has greater range than half charged EV, so is more likely to reach a top up score empty. Once there it takes little time to fill the tank.
By AlanC
#1747171
Boing_737 wrote:Why would a half charged Tesla need to leave the area to be charged? Surely a local journey isn't really going to be impacted by half a charge, and if on a longer journey you stop off at a fast or super charger to top off? It really isn't hard to wrap your head around - they have exactly the same impediments and associated solutions as ICE cars.


Hmm. Sadly, not yet - our infrastructure just isn't quite up to it yet, especially further north. A common ICE trip for me is from the Midlands up to family NW of Inverness - on which I would genuinely love the Tesla driving experience, and with superchargers initially plentiful it should be pretty easy. Until something goes wrong, when it's not uncommon further north to end up on a 100+ mile detour around landslips or similar... And then the plan goes out the window, when much of the charging north of the M8 is destination charging only, for customers only, 7kW, etc. Once or twice it's been annoying enough running out of LPG with no refill opportunity due to plan changes, but the remaining spare petrol tank and reasonably readily available fossil fuel has made it nothing more than an annoyance, but running a pure EV would be rather more nail biting. Doing a trip from the UK to Gibraltar with a fleet of Teslas last year was interesting, very simple and stress free when everything worked, but it only took minor plan changes to put a few cars hours behind the others to make charging opportunities work. Definitely great for shorter local trips with known charge opportunities, and never leaving home without a decent charge level, but just not as easy on more awkward long trips. Yet.....
By Mike Tango
#1747174
Miscellaneous wrote:
Half tank of fuel has greater range than half charged EV, so is more likely to reach a top up score empty. Once there it takes little time to fill the tank.


Even now that's a little too much of a broad brush generality. More so in the not too distant future with (in the case of Tesla) 400-500 mile ranges and, already available in some areas, 250kW peak charging just around the corner.
User avatar
By skydriller
#1747180
AlanC wrote:Doing a trip from the UK to Gibraltar with a fleet of Teslas last year was interesting, very simple and stress free when everything worked, but it only took minor plan changes to put a few cars hours behind the others to make charging opportunities work. Definitely great for shorter local trips with known charge opportunities, and never leaving home without a decent charge level, but just not as easy on more awkward long trips. Yet.....


Kinda like VFR GA...time to spare, go by EV?? :clown:
  • 1
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42