For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By malcolmfrost
You can buy a charger for home use, £460 from service centres, but in my experience from the S I rented a 13 amp socket works well. I may rethink, I don't particularly want a charger box on the front of the house, I may also switch to Ovo which has a smart charger.
You can use non Tesla charging stations, supercharger price is 0.20/kWh. I used a referral which has given me 5000 miles free so that should last a while. Many hotels/restaurants have destination chargers and don't usually charge at all.
Frankly I don't anticipate charging much away, at the weekend we had a wedding in Cambridge, and from Hindhead, the whole trip would have needed 10 min top up at the South Mimms Supercharger. We also have solar at home so that will take the brunt of it.
PaulB, johnm liked this
By Colonel Panic
With solar panels at home, then the ZAPPI charger looks like a good option.

AIUI a 13A socket will take an age to charge the car (~7 miles per hour) - you are much better off with a 32A outlet (~22 miles per hour). (Says me, the arch thicko when it comes to electrikery).
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You need a proper charger for a Tesla - a 13A socket is not practical. It would take 36 hours for a full charge!

Suggest you get a 'tethered' one from one of the companies that comply with the OLEV grant. PodPoint would be my recommendation.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By malcolmfrost
It depends on your mission profile I suppose, my drive to work (3 times a month!) is 40 miles each way, so an overnight charge on 13A will be an adequate top up. Tesla say charge to 80% routinely. Only use 100% for very long trips.
Thanks for the tips!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By riverrock
Its also less efficient - apparently the Tesla charging system uses around 250Watts of power to manage, plus line and conversion loss, so if using a 13A connection you only store 80% of what you take from the grid. If you use a higher capacity connection, its more efficient (you use 250 watts of management power for less time and there are other efficiencies) meaning it can be more than 90% efficient.

Worth getting the home charger.
Go tethered and get a standard Type 2 connector - so if you decide on a different EV in the future you wont have to change the charging point.
malcolmfrost liked this
By eltonioni
Are deposits refundable?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/17/1862 ... e-expenses

Elon Musk told Tesla employees the company will run out of cash in about 10 months unless “hardcore” cost-cutting efforts are made, according to an all-staff email obtained by Reuters and Electrek. The cost-cutting measures are necessary despite the fact that Tesla just raised $2.7 billion earlier this month, Musk said in the email.
By malcolmfrost
Would anyone buy a car from Jaguar?
The automotive industry is facing significant market, technological, and regulatory headwinds. At the same time, investment in new models, electrification and other technologies remains high. Given the muted demand scenario and the associated impact on the financials, Jaguar Land Rover has concluded that the carrying value of capitalised investments should be adjusted down, resulting in a non-cash £3.1 billion pre-tax exceptional charge and an overall pre-tax loss of £3.4 billion for the quarter.
By johnm
Might be a while before JLR pays any tax :-)
By eltonioni
Good link - reminded me of this Tesla teardown.
By malcolmfrost
I was up at Fully Charged Live yesterday and had as good a nose around the 3 as I could given it was swamped! The build quality looked excellent, in fact I could see more issues on the iPace also on display, bonnet not fitting properly and the tail light clusters not right.
There was massive interest generally, it is the start of something big!
Colonel Panic liked this