Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Mon Colonel, may I commend you on your excellent taste in videos?
Colonel Panic liked this
By Miscellaneous
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:They also lost nearly a billion last year.

$702m quarterly loss

cjrpaterson wrote:Nor is it as far ahead in self-driving capabilities as claimed; which could be a problem considering that's destined to be the Next Big Thing.

Yesterday, Tesla chief executive Elon Musk said he expected the firm to have self-driving "robotaxis" on the road by 2020.

Meanwhile
By eltonioni
You have to admire the chutzpah of the bloke.

'""self-driving "robotaxis" on the road"' is a very long way from having a worldwide regulatory framework with competent AI systems that permit them to operate without a driver. So no different from now really. Meanwhile, Elon does ok from the share price.
By stevelup
I'm out. There's no location aware garage door opener on that model :lol:

But seriously, they are still hawking 'Full Self-Driving Capability' at £4900. This is total and absolute utter BS. Autopilot is nowhere near 'Full Self-Driving Capability'. It's outrageous that they still market it like this.

They caveat it in the small print with 'The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.'

EH?

It's either autonomous or it isn't...

Anyway, this is, all round, fantastic news as it's going to force the European manufacturers to up their game.
Last edited by stevelup on Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PaulB
Presumably this was a pre-ordered 3 from when they were first announced? If you were to order one today, when would the delivery be?

I still think there’s little choice in the full EV market. All manufacturers need to pull there socks up as do the providers of charging points
By Flyin'Dutch'
For the 4 wheel drive versions they quote May, nothing for the rear-wheel drive one.
By malcolmfrost
PaulB wrote:Presumably this was a pre-ordered 3 from when they were first announced? If you were to order one today, when would the delivery be?

Try and set up an order and find out? :D
I was an early reserver, it will all depend on when the ships arrive I guess and how many cars are on each.
Incidentally they are offering a 7 day money back after delivery if you haven't test driven the car.
By eltonioni
Haven't they canned the cheaper models for the time being / ever to make their numbers add up in that very special Tesla way?
By stevelup
Well there is sort of a cheaper model at £38k - not quite the $35k (£32.5k taking into account exchange rate and VAT), but not as far out as it might have been.

It certainly makes every other EV look -very- expensive and poor value now.
By Colonel Panic
I would consider a PCP style lease for a Tesla - but never done one before. There is nothing on the Tesla website re: leasing, so does one just order(/buy) the car now, and then take out a lease with a Third Party at the point of handover? Or does one have to order it through a leasing company?
By stevelup
The HP figures are shown in the banner at the bottom of the screen.

When you check out, you can either choose cash or finance. Or of course, you could choose cash and sort your own finance.
By PaulB
It says June for all models and specs from what I can see.

Edited to add, does that imply that the estimate is wrong or that there were fewer pre-orders than claimed/thought or that production is really high?
Last edited by PaulB on Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.