For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
As time passes the reasons for personally not wanting a Tesla are mounting, or at least moving from concerns about the product to concerns about the manufacturer.
Colonel Panic liked this
By malcolmfrost
Mind you the legacy makers aren’t that good either!
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - European antitrust authorities plan to fine carmakers Daimler BMW and VW up to 1 billion euros ($1.1 bln) each for colluding on reducing the effectiveness of exhaust filtering systems, German weekly Der Spiegel said
By Rob P
That's nicely summed up Mike. I guess if I was back on the road through the necessity to earn a crust I'd love a Tesla as the company hack. The 21st Century Granada Ghia. Odd the road test didn't mention the availability or not of little hooks to hang your jacket on.

But as a recreational aid, either transporting the two of us to interesting or exciting places, or just driving for pleasure (that's rare these days) there is something lacking. I believe there's an updated Roadster on the way. Maybe that will have the added something?

Thinking further There's nothing to compare it with directly in the way that an e-Golf will be much nicer to live with than a petrol or diesel Golf etc,. A genuine step-up. Tesla just is. :scratch:

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Leodisflyer
They are coming up with some cracking ideas, but easily copied. Apparently they are going for even faster charge points and, because they own the charging network and the nav system in the cars, the cars will know they are on the way to a charge point and engage thermal management on the battery so that it is at a good temperature for an optimal fast charge.
Rob P liked this
By Colonel Panic
Leodisflyer wrote:They are coming up with some cracking ideas, but easily copied.

Another example is that if you have a steep drive (or often go over a corpulent sleeping policeman) and you need to raise the ride height (Model S & X only) to prevent grounding out, when you select "high" it geolocates it and saves it. Next time you get home it will raise the ride height automatically. So sensible it beggars belief.

Range Rover (& no doubt a raft of other makes too) have had air bag suspension with selectable ride hides for years, but did they think of this? Nope.

A great idea, but easily copied.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Colonel Panic
Mike Tango wrote:I admire Tesla’s technical accomplishments, but the cars have no soul.

Interesting, and I can see why people might think that.

Cars are a fascinating topic (for me at least), with many complex & often conflicting issues; I find all "modern" cars boring when compared to classic cars which are far more individual in design. Many find them lacking in any appeal at all. I also find the vast majority of cars from the Far East deadly dull - both inside and outside - but accept that they are very proficient as a means to an end (getting from A to B). Of the 37 cars I have ever bought ALL have been "European".

All I can suggest, @Mike Tango, is don't go for a test drive in a Tesla - you will regret it :wink:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Mike Tango
Oh I know I’d love the power train and delivery, but I just can’t imagine getting over the blandest of blandy blandnessland that is everything else.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
There is much, much more to a Tesla than merely the power train and delivery - both good and bad - but I know you too well to want to try to change your views on the car. :wink:

As with much in life, choice is a Good Thing. :thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Mike Tango
Colonel Panic wrote:There is much, much more to a Tesla than merely the power train and delivery - both good and bad - but I know you too well to want to try to change your views on the car. :wink:

As with much in life, choice is a Good Thing. :thumleft:

Absolutely!

For me it’s a case of, why would I buy a Tesla when I could buy a Jaguar I-Pace? The latter is, for me, just so much more appealing as an EV than the former.