For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
From memory most of his US businesses have benefited from substantial government funding - almost as if he picked areas the government would hand out cash in.
kanga liked this
By riverrock
stevelup wrote:The thing I can't get over is the fact that they sell their carbon credits to dirty ICE makers for filthy $$$

That, to me, totally flies in the face of a whole chunk of the good they have done.

To big business, money rules all.
A business wont be happy in having to buy carbon credits, so this focuses a business into reducing their carbon costs. It then subsidises businesses who are providing a way for end users to reduce their carbon cost, incentivising a lower carbon economy.
In theory - the end user should win with lower overall carbon. Of course, the market needs carefully managed...

With the announcement today that China is aiming to be carbon neutral by 2060, the world is trying to go in one direction - the filthy ICE makers will go out of business unless they embrace low carbon alternatives.
By Colonel Panic
Deary me - do let us know what you are smoking so that I can avoid that brand.

eltonioni wrote:I'm just not into personalities. There's a massive team of talent at work while he's out shilling for investors and share deals

Whilst no Musk fan, what do you expect him to do? He is not an engineer, but a salesman and an enabler. He is _far_ more use to the company doing what he does best, and letting the undoubted "talented team" of engineers do their thing.

The cars are interesting albeit warmed over rebrands, reworks and incorporations of other people's tech - eg Panasonic batteries.

Name one "brand" of car that doesn't share the vast majority of its ideas, components or underlying first principles with competitors and forebears?

Most of all I think that firms should aim to make a profit, not suck profits out of other companies via "investment".

He can't win, can he. Most criticisms are that Tesla fails to make money, now here they are criticised for not even trying to.

Meanwhile, I'm currently of the opinion that half full glasses bring out the best of things...
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rikur_
As a marketing move, I'm not sure it was the wisest message ........ basically, our cars will be a lot cheaper in 3 years time.
Ok, I'll hang on a bit then. I don't really want to pay over the odds in the meantime.
By Pete L
Oh I don't know. You want to make the same product and extract the maximum price from each customer. A temporary illusion of exclusivity or shortage of supply helps in that, and you can manage the demand while you knock the bugs out.
By Rob P
rikur_ wrote: I don't really want to pay over the odds in the meantime...

... so I'll just spend the saving between a Tesla in three years time and Tesla today in instalments at the Sainsbury forecourt.

Rob P
malcolmfrost liked this
By rikur_
Rob P wrote:
rikur_ wrote: I don't really want to pay over the odds in the meantime...

... so I'll just spend the saving between a Tesla in three years time and Tesla today in instalments at the Sainsbury forecourt.

At 8,000 miles per year, I'm not in the mileage league to make those economics work
By Miscellaneous
I consider the vulnerability of charging networks to outages, whether technical or from hacking, a significant weakness as systems develop. Likewise the cars themselves.
By eltonioni
Boring boring boring company scams the public purse and reinvents road tunnels, but badly, dangerously and environmentally damagingly.

What next? Underground trains?
T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
Colonel Panic wrote:As probably the least appealing place on earth that I have had the misfortune to visit, all I can say is Las Vegas is welcome to it.

Oh I dunno :I think you would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall when Keef and I spent a very pleasant hour or so chatting up the barmaid with the biggest lungs in the county at the Santa Fe Hotel in LV.

Out of this world experience or what! :lol:
kanga, Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
The only thing I did enjoy in LV was a trip down in the hotel lift chatting to Elvis Presley wearing his white suit with tassels. As yours - an out of this world experience :D