For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
malcolmfrost wrote:I am a Tesla 3 owner, and what Elon says has no relevance to my driving and ownership!

Oh I don't know so much, however unlikely to be exercised the control Tesla has over the Tesla fleet is not to be ignored. :wink:

I seem to recall one owner posing the question of whether he had bought the car, or had just leased it from Tesla. :D
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yep, there are a few of those now.

Really, I think that's what Tesla should do. Their drivetrain and some of the tech is great. The cars themselves, IMO, a bit meh.
By kanga
ah, back to the era of independent 'coachbuilders' like Mulliner :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._J._Mulliner_%26_Co.

ISTR from many decades ago reading of an outback farmer in Australia who had had a RR chassis shipped out to him from UK in the '20s or '30s, and built his own pickup body on it. Many decades later it was still going :thumright:
By cockney steve
In the days before the M1, there was a garage on the A1 (the main east-coast artery, London-Edinburgh_ which used a Rolls converted to a breakdown-truck, complete with Harvey Frost crane on the pickup-bed. aiui, over 80% of pre- W. W. -2 R>R's survive.
Among other things they have been re-bodied to make Armoured-cars.
By kanga
[quote="cockney steve".. aiui, over 80% of pre- W. W. -2 R>R's survive.
Among other things they have been re-bodied to make Armoured-cars.[/quote]

Indeed. The original 'armoured cars' were exactly that: cars to which armour was added. RR chassis were particularly favoured, especially in the WW1 Near East campaigns against Ottoman forces, because they were rugged, reliable, and (being coachbuilt) easy to 'remodel'

Should we now expect a 'Tesla chassis armoured car' ? :)
By Rob P
Colonel Panic wrote: All they need to do is beef up the window strength a tad :D

Yes, that blue screen of death is an awful nuisance in combat

Rob P
kanga, skydriller liked this
By stevelup
Frankly, I see no reason for a huge mostly automated factory to not be open with adequate protections in place.
By eltonioni
And to prove that they should be working he's happy to abandon his workforce by moving production elsewhere. He's got the morals of an alley cat. He's much more Edison than Tesla.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Miscellaneous
stevelup wrote:Frankly, I see no reason for a huge mostly automated factory to not be open with adequate protections in place.

The rights and wrongs aside his reaction is what's of interest. From all but denying the severity of CV19 to buying ventilators, to moving production. As unique as Trump is as US President, Musk is as a board member (he did lose his CEO position, if I recall correctly?).

Peculiar, I continue to watch with interest. :D