For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not all BEVs can be towed so it would be on a truck for those! :(

@stevelup

You seem to have a bit of an allergy to things Tesla, just like others have with say Apple. Just out of interest what is the main irritant in that equation?

The product, the hype, Musk? Just out of interest.

I can see that the hype and Musk are things which are not endearing but having had a couple of rides in the actual product, in my case the Model 3, that was not bad at all, indeed I was quite impressed.

What I think Tesla also has done well is to come onto the market with a pretty slick line up of cars and understood that the range and recharging issue the biggest is and I do envy their range and charging network.
By stevelup
Not at all, they are a fantastic disruptor. But they haven't (and probably never will!) 'make' any money - was merely arguing against that point.

The cars just don't do it for me.

Love what Musk is doing with Space X.

Like how he speaks his mind and responds personally to people on Twitter.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
stevelup wrote:Not at all, they are a fantastic disruptor. But they haven't (and probably never will!) 'make' any money.

Agree, I also suspect that they will go to the (SuperCharge)Wall first and that the Phoenix will be successful. In fact if the Modell 3 had not been teh success it currently is that would have happened at some point last year I think.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:The question wasn't "Has Tesla earned more than it has spent over the lifetime of the company?"

Well it was really. Having a quarter where more comes in than out doesn't really qualify as making money. :D
By Miscellaneous
I can't imagine many companies being credited for being in the black in 2 quarters historically and the red for the rest against a business plan which didn't forecast it so. :D
By eltonioni
Presumably those quarters coincided with opening up pre-orders for vehicles that didn't exist, AKA vaporware (sic).
By stevelup
I think they'll need about a 100 more before they have a single actual dollar if you're looking at this on a simplistic 'money in -vs- money out' metric!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By eltonioni
Slightly related article on VC money and startup market disrupters who deal direct to customer. Getting product to customers isn't too difficult so long as you don't mind losing millions of dollars doing it. https://marker.medium.com/why-all-the-w ... bfcc70a00c

“The economics work better if Casper sent you a mattress for free, stuffed with $300,”
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Colonel Panic
I found this video quite interesting; whilst he doesn't appear to include charging losses (amount of electricity leaving the wall compared to the amount that arrives in the battery), the efficiency of an EV compared to an ICE is stark.

This guy is a bit of a geek, but knowledgeable in his field.

Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Colonel Panic
Not quite sure what your reply means, but there are not insignificant charging losses due to (AIUI) the transition from AC > DC. For example, since getting my EV, I have sent 2,068kWh from the wall, but only 1,953kWh "arrived" in the battery. Average Charging Efficiency therefore = 94.4%.
By Colonel Panic
Tesla have just released this video of their factory in China - which AIUI took a year to turn a muddy field to a production facility.

Watching it reminded me of this 1934 video of Citroen's Quai de Javel factory in Paris. Skip to Time 11:30 and see just how factory life has changed :shock: