For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By MikeE
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes, I was thinking about it having bought a Sharan in 2011. I think they have quite a few claimants and I suppose the claim is based on misrepresentation. I did wonder if claimants could be liable if a costs order was made against them, and will check the S&G website to see if this point is covered. A little bit of me wonders if they are just jumping on the litigation bandwagon but my understanding is that VW has agreed to pay owners in the US, but refused here.
Regards
Mike
By johnm
So what exactly did the owners suffer? The main issue seems to be VW fiddling with software to pretend to meet a standard that defies the law s of physics..... :twisted:
eltonioni liked this
We have a 2010 diesel Golf GTDi. It had ‘the fix’ at no cost, no inconvenience and no change in economy and performance, with an apology and little gift from VW

However, I have no doubt the resale value of the car took a hit.

It runs well, does 50mpg, is comfortable and is only missing DAB and sat nav compared to the current model.

It may be harder to sell/trade in, but who knows, I’m keeping it.

Sadly the campaign against oil burners accelerated after the scandal, but nowhere round here is talkeding about banning or charging them. If I lived in London it may have been more of an issue.
Loss would be reduced resale value of vehicle.

Damages would be as a result of misrepresentation.

Ours lost performance and driveability after the mods were done, but told that's it can't be reversed.

I loathe the idea of the lawyers gaining more out of it than the claimants, but do you just let VW get away with it?
By cockney steve
AIUI, If you join a class action, you are bound by the results and the settlement figure.
Should you decline and go it alone, a precedent has already been set by the class action .
The government profits by a punitive fine
The lawyers profit because they get to charge all the claimants for the same piece of work.
The claimants get the crumbs off the table because, individually, they have little bargaining power (unless they're Bill Gates, Larry Ellison or the like.)

One could always pay a couple of thousand to the likes of Carter -Ruck* to send them a letter and rattle the corporate cage, that might prompt an out of court settlement, but who knows. remember, even the board of VW aren't spending their own money. It's dead easy to spend other peoples'.