For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By malcolmfrost
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I'd really like to visit some of these places, especially in the winter, but I don't do the strapping of planks thing. Are prices just for accommodation silly during ski season? Are they cheaper in the summer?

akg1486 wrote:Ischgl

Bless you.

We went to th 3 valleys this summer for a couple of days, some of the lifts run, so if you like walking you can get into the high mountains easily, they are used by mountain bikers as well. We also walked up to one of the mountain refuges and stayed the night which was brilliant!
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By stickandrudderman
I’ve skied every year, at least twice a year since 1991.
I’ve been to most of the places already mentioned but without doubt my favourite resort is Zermatt; if you can afford it.......
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Without doubt the best place I've ever been skiing is Saanen Moser. It doesn't meet the ski from the door criterion, but if you take the car there's tons of lifts across the area and they all have car parks.

It's close to Gstaad if you need a map reference
By James33
I once worked in a "Cap France" chalet near Gap in the southern alps.

The closest ski resort was Saint Jean Montclar - very nice and very quiet.

Having ski-ed in Chamonix, Seefeld, Saas-Fee among others, I actually enjoyed Saint Jean much more.

Accommodation a fraction of the cost of the big resorts, and a lovely area to visit.
By plus7g
45 minutes from Salzburg
18 lifts
No tour operators
Lots of coffe shops and mountain restaurants ( they will remember you each year !!)
Family oriented ski school
Never any queues
Ok - you can walk to all lifts or take free ski bus every 30 mins
4 star hotel - with indoor pool - half board - five course evening meal @ eur 185 per girt PER ROOM ( family room for three)
Can't tell you where - don't want you lot turning up........ :wink:
stickandrudderman liked this
By bar shaker
We own a place in Val d'Isere. When too many people come out for us to put them up, we recommend they go into the Hotel Toviere. I think this would tick almost all of your boxes, plus the resort is as snow sure as you can get.

Look up the French school holidays and avoid those dates. Fly EZY to GVA and rent a car (we rent Octavia 4x4s from Europcar) to get you to the resort. The hotel has a car park or there is a covered one 50m away. The Toviere food is good, but away from the hotel there is everything from pizzas to 2 Michelin stars.
By Chris Martyr
Close to airport.
No lift pass req'd.
Top up your tan [ not just from the neck up with a bit of tin foil]
No freezin' yer nuts off.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Marbella every time,,,,, :D
By Sir Morley Steven
It’s all a lot more expensive this year! We have finally decided on St Johann in Austria. A fairly small area so the hotel (a short walk from the lift) is cheaper but it gives access to Salbaach and Kitzbuhel ski areas a short ski bus journey away.
By akg1486
Sir Morley Steven wrote:It’s all a lot more expensive this year! We have finally decided on St Johann in Austria. A fairly small area so the hotel (a short walk from the lift) is cheaper but it gives access to Salbaach and Kitzbuhel ski areas a short ski bus journey away.

Be sure to visit the flying club. Went there this summer: nice little airfield. And they helped me get a new tire after I got a flat when landing. Really helpful and nice staff.
By PeteSpencer
Over half a century ago our school ski-club used to go annually to a tiny place called Melchsee-Frutt in Switzerland: I wonder if its still there?
Nightmare journey multiple trains, change at Basel then local trains, bus and final access by cable car only.

Swiss Army used to knock down avalanches on other side of the lake.

Peter