For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
OCB wrote:I used to regularly travel to/from Zaventem to Abbotsinch International with SABENA.

On the subject of budget airlines, I had a Jet2 flight out of LBA a few years ago on a fairly elderly 737. The catering cart, when it came through, was quite prominently an ex-SABENA item.

No particular point to be made, I just found it interesting at the time.
By OCB
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
RichardPearse wrote:[ The catering cart, when it came through, was quite prominently an ex-SABENA item.

No particular point to be made, I just found it interesting at the time.

Did they serve 'Frites met Stoofvlees'?

We need to be told!

Dutch - I made a perfect "stew' the other day; the beef morsels were like butter, the patatches were quite honestly wrapped creme. Carrots were half way between al-denté and bien-cuit.

The gravy wasn't some packet rubbish - but what the pressure cooker had squeezed out the beef the night before. The whole lot spent the night in the fridge getting to know each other better (with a fair bit of butter from the local farm), and I slow-cooked the beef for about 2h before serving.

Not one single member of my family even vaguely liked what I'd made.

Next time it's Bicky Burger van de frite-kot locaal, godverdomme :evil:
By OCB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Did you put any salt in?

The tradition around here is salt, pepper, a strong brown (Belgian) beer and plum sauce.

I skipped the plum sauce, and the beer was added directly to the chef. :cheers:
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Did you put any salt in?

The tradition around here is salt, pepper, a strong brown (Belgian) beer and plum sauce.

I skipped the plum sauce, and the beer was added directly to the chef. :cheers:

It sounds great!

I am pretty good at making (and eating!) stews, but not yet been able to make it like a proper stoofvlees stew.

Tried various recipes and although all yummy, missed the distinct, je ne sais pas, tanginess.

Added the bread and the Trappist beer, all to no avail.

Never use the pressure cooker for new recipes - but once sorted they are very efficient. Trick is to get the right size of meat. Too small and it's all dissolved. Too large and it sticks and burns - guess how I know!