For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hooray! a long journey has started with a first step. Student bikes at Cambridge do have numbers, but I'm told that this is merely to trace abandoned bikes.

The rot started when Police allowed unaccompanied kids to ride on the pavement. Now , total disregard of law,-anarchy rules the roads.
It doesn't help when councils spend serious money creating 100-yard cycle-lanes instead of filling potholes.
By OCB
I see this ending badly, or more likely quietly abandoned.

What, for instance, will stop some mischievous lad/lass "cloning" a "school issued" plate, then running amok to land some arch rival in the poo? Or, just sticking the plate on when they get to the school? I presume they won't be going to the expense of hi-tech anti-counterfeit measures etc.

I've always been of the opinion, that what happens outside the school gates is the resp. of the parents and the law. Sure, a Head can say that the kids are "representing the school" if they're in uniform, but what difference does that make in reality?

hint: about the same as the head of the FA saying to hooligans they represent their club/country when playing away.... :roll:
By PeteSpencer
My bike in Camb Univ 1964-7 had a number painted on back mudguard.

Helped identification I guess if you were pulled over by Proctor/Bulldogs for not wearing a gown.

Gown wearing rule abandoned in c 1966 as too may undergraduates were getting beaten up by local yobs.

Town vs Gown fights were common in town centre on Nov 5th (1959-65ish) till cops clamped down.

(I was brought up in Cambridge from age 5 and as a young teenager used to sneak off into town to watch the fun........)

Peter :roll:
By romille
It seems to me that many schools are overstepping their authority, started by dictating what food can be brought into school for lunch, now it's how pupils behave while cycling to school, what next, what the kids are allowed to do at weekends. I imagine that dangerous cycling is a police matter.
By Chris Martyr
JoeC wrote:It is psychotic, gross over exaggerations like this that remind me how idiotic you frequently sound! :

Hey , steady on Joe . That's not a very nice thing to say to a fellow forum brother is it mate .

I only popped by FF , for a bit of solace from what's raging elsewhere :wink:

In some parts of our country , cycling has become something of a bloodsport , so C.S. isn't a million miles off track is he ? It shouldn't be schools taking it upon themselves though , it should have come from central government ages ago . In Switzerland bicycles have had their own no. plates since before WW2 .
At the moment , it's a bit of a one way deal , loaded in the cyclist's favour. Fitment of some type of ID may curb some of the aggression exhibited by some of these urban terrorists .

[ and aggression of forumites.. :D ..]
townleyc liked this
By skydriller
romille wrote:It seems to me that many schools are overstepping their authority, started by dictating what food can be brought into school for lunch, now it's how pupils behave while cycling to school, what next, what the kids are allowed to do at weekends. I imagine that dangerous cycling is a police matter.

I cant comment on Lunches from way back when, (and as a parent I feel that asking parents to be aware of alergies is a responsable idea, but ordering a ban on foods is out or order) but I recall that in the 90s my school had a "distinctive" Uniform such that out and about in town any unsociable behaviour would be severely stamped upon by masters if anyone was to say a word to the school - woe betide anyone who was to actually get spotted by a master, teacher or even prefect, whilst in school uniform and doing anything that might be considered contrary to the principles the school stood for... :shock:

Cant see anything wrong with such a policy if kids are in school uniform, out of uniform - and most of us at my school would ditch the "distinctive blazer" and tie if we could get away with it - is a different matter...

Its no different to an employer having social media rules for employees.

Regards, SD..
By romille
skydriller wrote:Its no different to an employer having social media rules for employees.

Regards, SD..

I think it is different, dangerous road uses are to be dealt with by the police and courts, not a school master. At our local school a lot of the older kids get there by moped or drive their own car while wearing their school uniform, would you suggest that contraventions of the road traffic act by them are also dealt with by the school?
Last edited by romille on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
Just the sort of stupid thing teachers would dream up instead of getting on with educating the little brats.

Rob P
townleyc liked this
By OCB
Rob P wrote:Just the sort of stupid thing teachers would dream up instead of getting on with educating the little brats.

Rob P

Hmm, I vehemently disagree with that assertion. It’s the sort of thing some puffed up muppet with an over-inflated egos dreams up, the special kind of muppet who ends up as “Head” - and not your typical “teach”.

Just my tuppence
avtur3, Rob P liked this
By Leodisflyer
Its a great move forward for road safety.

I look forward to schools checking the MOT, tax and insurance* status of cars and drivers and establishing an exclusion zone within which complaints against drivers are investigated. Children whose parents lack the appropriate driving permissions slip will be forced to walk, cycle (with appropriate registration plate) or use public transport for the last mile.

Should they also consider a maximum points allowance for people driving near schools and a three strikes system for inconsiderate parking?

*Insurance checks will of course include checks to see whether the parents and carers are commuting and that commuting is included on their certificates of insurance.
OCB, PaulB, TopCat and 2 others liked this
By OCB
Leodisflyer wrote:Its a great move forward for road safety.

I look forward to schools checking the MOT, tax and insurance* status of cars and drivers and establishing an exclusion zone within which complaints against drivers are investigated. Children whose parents lack the appropriate driving permissions slip will be forced to walk, cycle (with appropriate registration plate) or use public transport for the last mile.

Should they also consider a maximum points allowance for people driving near schools and a three strikes system for inconsiderate parking?

*Insurance checks will of course include checks to see whether the parents and carers are commuting and that commuting is included on their certificates of insurance.

In the interest of fair and balanced rule of law, all teachers and support staff would be swabbed and breathalyzed for alcohol and illegal substances every day as well.

When I mentioned that in the presence of about 15 "teach" at a party - they all said they'd fail, and the school would be closed by 9am.

Kids aren't daft - never have been and never will be.
By Bill Haddow
romille wrote:
I think it is different, dangerous road uses are to be dealt with by the police and courts, not a school master.

I quite agree, but when it comes to selfish cycling road hogs the enforcement of the law is so rare that it makes the national news. If the cops and courts did their job the school masters wouldn't seek to do it for them.

Bill H
By PaulB
Drivers are by far the worst offenders when it comes to road sense and road safety. That may be because there are more of them, but in the grand scheme of things cyclists for the most part don’t cause too many problems.
malcolmfrost, TopCat liked this