For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By defcribed
PaulB wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:warm up? Just walk for 5 min, then gently jog for 5
Then move on to run walk, walk 1 min, run 1 min and repeat, slowly reduce the walking and increase the running.

That's exactly what the NHS Couch potato to 5k does.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/g ... uch-to-5k/

This stuff is aimed at people who literally could not run for a bus. The old, obese and sedentary.

With a lean, keen 10 year old the problem you're going to have will be stopping him. Assuming you can impress on him the need to pace himself rather than dash off at a sprint, he'll probably run all day and a 20 minute cross country will seem like a quick warm-up.

Obviously everyone's got different standards, but I'd probably describe anyone who couldn't run 5k straight off as being in poor shape. Conversely I don't consider the ability to run 5k straight off makes you 'fit', just 'normal'.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
defcribed wrote:This stuff is aimed at people who literally could not run for a bus. The old, obese and sedentary.

It's going to take more than that for me to be able to do it. Walking round Luxemburg on the weekend, my hip just about had it. Took me three days to recover, though I did do a bit of walking in London last night.

defcribed wrote:I'd probably describe anyone who couldn't run 5k straight off as being in poor shape.

I'm in great shape. Round is a good shape, right? ;-)
By OCB
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
We tried Aikido for 3 years - mainly for the discipline and “zen” components, but it was clear he’s no natural budoka.

Nor is virtually anybody else - it's enthusiasm and application that get the vast majority of people to shodan and beyond, not talent.

I'm pretty certain that the same is true of most other sports.

G

G, I’m sure you’ll get all grumpy on me for these :

1. Jitsu/Jutsu v Do, a long and torturous argument. Sure, Do could be called a sport - definety not so for the former (pedant mode off).

Fact is my kid didn’t have the “ki” (yet) to “get” budo. I took a shot, hoping it would help him. We’ve talked about it as recently as a week ago, and I’m a colleague of his Aikido Sensei- bizarre coincidence- and we all agree that the day might arrive my kid could maybe take up a martial art again. Just not now.

2. My kids clearly understand I’ll be training them when I see they are ready. My younger boy -7 yrs - found out last week by accident I am/was an instructor in a specific Japanese martial art. He was sworn to secrecy (I hate when folks label me as a martial artist), but that lasted all of 16 hours before he was telling his mates at school. His older brother did exactly the same, and I made it clear then (and now) that Daddy doesn’t like it.

I’d rather he said I played piano in a brothel...at least Parents Association nights would be more of a laugh :twisted:
By Bill McCarthy
Well, I am 74 and can outrun most 20 something year olds and don’t run for a bus either - there isn’t any. I maintain my fitness penning sheep and preparing tups for sales - I have a batch going off tomorrow. I can fling them over to trim their feet just as good as any judo expert - any they weigh about 110 kilos.
I actually pity the jogger with their earphones in, on the streets around Edinburgh when I am down there - they look right prats. Sorry and all that.
seanxair, cockney steve liked this
By malcolmfrost
I actually pity the jogger with their earphones in
so do I, much prefer to run as nature intended, though with shorts on!, Besides I haven't got any sheep and wouldn't know what to do with one :D
By PeteSpencer
malcolmfrost wrote:, Besides I haven't got any sheep and wouldn't know what to do with one :D

You're not from Wales, then? :lol:

Peter
By OCB
Bill McCarthy wrote:Well, I am 74 and can outrun most 20 something year olds and don’t run for a bus either - there isn’t any. I maintain my fitness penning sheep and preparing tups for sales - I have a batch going off tomorrow. I can fling them over to trim their feet just as good as any judo expert - any they weigh about 110 kilos.
I actually pity the jogger with their earphones in, on the streets around Edinburgh when I am down there - they look right prats. Sorry and all that.

hahahaha

Bill, up for Grump o' the year? I'll be yer 2nd if ye need an.
Let me know if yir up fur pro o' amateur :D

BTW, tippin the brow fir "broon breid" - no' heard that in dunkies. I miss speaking Scots...

Ma big yin is lanky, a sour dook, a blither, an richt teuch.

We've given up trying to shape his character - he is what he is.

For those curious at a medical level, here in Belgium - there is an official definition for "smart *rse", aka "high potential". Standardised tests for certain age groups across a broad spectrum of indicators. My oldest has been tested by 3 different paedologue (kid psychiatrists) - and for every indicator he is well above median and a few in the very high 90s. Every parent wishes their kid to be "smart" - tbh, too "smart" is a heart-breaking burden. We now accept he'll spend the rest of his life relying on professional psychological and psychiatric help. Such services are not free here - we pay thousands per year, money that with the Belgian tax regime isn't that easy to find.

All I want for him is to be happy, the rest I don't give a flying f.

It annoys me that if he was in the small percentage of kids to end with childhood leukaemia - the State would pay a fortune on him. He's in the the very predicable but very small percentage of kids who need a learning environment more than the usual local sausage factory. Our school would happily send him somewhere else, we'd happily put him somewhere else - but there isn't anywhere. At high school level there's one school we can maybe send him - but tbh it's more arts related than all-encompassing.

All that to say, it was too late tonight when I got home to manage the domestic menagerie. Tomorrow morning the wee burger is out of bed an getting on with it!
OCB wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
We tried Aikido for 3 years - mainly for the discipline and “zen” components, but it was clear he’s no natural budoka.

Nor is virtually anybody else - it's enthusiasm and application that get the vast majority of people to shodan and beyond, not talent.

I'm pretty certain that the same is true of most other sports.

G

G, I’m sure you’ll get all grumpy on me for these :

1. Jitsu/Jutsu v Do, a long and torturous argument. Sure, Do could be called a sport - definety not so for the former (pedant mode off).

Fact is my kid didn’t have the “ki” (yet) to “get” budo. I took a shot, hoping it would help him. We’ve talked about it as recently as a week ago, and I’m a colleague of his Aikido Sensei- bizarre coincidence- and we all agree that the day might arrive my kid could maybe take up a martial art again. Just not now.

2. My kids clearly understand I’ll be training them when I see they are ready. My younger boy -7 yrs - found out last week by accident I am/was an instructor in a specific Japanese martial art. He was sworn to secrecy (I hate when folks label me as a martial artist), but that lasted all of 16 hours before he was telling his mates at school. His older brother did exactly the same, and I made it clear then (and now) that Daddy doesn’t like it.

I’d rather he said I played piano in a brothel...at least Parents Association nights would be more of a laugh :twisted:

Actually very little disagreement from me here - yes, I practice a Jitsu, and from the perspective of competition, it's most definitely not a sport. But, there's a level of physical engagement, training discipline, use of muscle memory, and so-on that brings any martial arts into the sports domain.

Kids are always an issue with such things aren't they. From the perspective of somebody that young it's all about some glamorous cartoonesque thing that it really isn't about. The pure physicality of something like Judo they can often handle well and enjoy, but the more intellectual aspects and requirements for repetition less so.

As you say, perhaps simply not old enough for the discipline of it.

No children myself, but I have a friend - who for some years was both a single mother, and world top 10 in UFC. Her attempts to persuade her son to never use any variation on the phrase "My mum's a cagefighter" failed miserably :)

Personally I don't encourage anybody in my club under 16, and decline outright anybody under 14. Young children (or their parents anyhow) looking to take something up I direct to the local Judo centre. That's for a fairly sophisticated kempo jiu jitsu style that really isn't suited to younger practitioners, for a whole bunch of reasons varying from complicated anatomical theory to routine use of joint locks.

G
By defcribed
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
defcribed wrote:This stuff is aimed at people who literally could not run for a bus. The old, obese and sedentary.

It's going to take more than that for me to be able to do it. Walking round Luxemburg on the weekend, my hip just about had it. Took me three days to recover, though I did do a bit of walking in London last night.

defcribed wrote:I'd probably describe anyone who couldn't run 5k straight off as being in poor shape.

I'm in great shape. Round is a good shape, right? ;-)

We're all different! Nothing derogatory meant by what I said at all.

Oh, and the hips don't lie (Shakira Shakira).
By Paul_Sengupta
defcribed wrote:We're all different! Nothing derogatory meant by what I said at all.

No, absolutely, just my point was that the couch to 5k was probably for normal people. not us obese couch potatoes, who are going require considerably more to get to running 5k! :D I haven't run 5k since I was in school, and even then I would suggest that I probably walked for 20-30% of my cross country "runs"...
By defcribed
Paul_Sengupta wrote:No, absolutely, just my point was that the couch to 5k was probably for normal people. not us obese couch potatoes, who are going require considerably more to get to running 5k! :D I haven't run 5k since I was in school, and even then I would suggest that I probably walked for 20-30% of my cross country "runs"...

Couch to 5k does take it very gently.

My significant other decided to try it. She's slim and in pretty good shape.

I suggested that she just jog continuously for half an hour instead, which should not be beyond her at all. That'll get her to the end goal on day 1. It worked, but it meant she didn't have Sarah Millican egging her on via headphones.