For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Anyone know what this connector is called please?
I am wiring in a new radio and it connects to the intercom with this connector. I need a matching one as i don't want to remake both halves.

It is 12 way and has a serrated edge along one short side. I've tried searching for molex connector but had no joy.

Thanks

Have you noticed how un-PC these electrical connector blocks have become these days ?

They just don't seem to cater for the ones that want to plug into 'all stations between' do they ! Will be hilarious the 'non-binary' ones come out.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Or the ones that are suitable for those with a nut allergy .

The world may have gone mad,,,,,,,,,,,,,but at least I'm still normal.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JoeC wrote:
nallen wrote:George? Tony?

Is that not a female connector?

Did you just assume it's gender?

[TheGuardian /]

Hangs liberal head in shame …

(But still can't quite banish unsavoury, and possibly over-ambitious, thoughts conjured up by the terms "12-way", and "serrated edge".)
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Chris Martyr wrote:Have you noticed how un-PC these electrical connector blocks have become these days ?

They just don't seem to cater for the ones that want to plug into 'all stations between' do they ! Will be hilarious the 'non-binary' ones come out.

You've always been able to get mixed-gender connectors. It's the rest of the world that's catching up....
I was once involved in designing some gizmo for HM Forces, which had to be useable portable, in vehicles (12v or 24v DC) or mains (110v or 240v AC, 50 or 60 Hz). The electronic innards (very sophisticated) turned out to be easier than creating input power options which would be 'squaddie-proof'. We thought we'd done it, by having obvious labelled, different, mutually incompatible and unambiguous sorts of power lead inputs, protected by circuit breakers and fuses; all of which added considerably to size and weight (bad news for the manpack and airborne uses).

One unit to which it was delivered, in serious need of its capability because it was "in harm's way", reported that its model as delivered 'had never worked', and 'could we send out an engineer to their (dodgy, accessible with difficulty) location ?'. It turned out the squaddie charged with setting it up had bodged the local 240v AC supply to go into the 12v DC input by cutting off the plug which would have gone straight into the correct socket, and then taped down the circuit breaker when it kept popping. When the internal fuse blew he opened up the case (forcefully) and used foil across the fuse points .. When that did not work (and there was a nasty smell of burning) he had not 'fessed up but only told the SNCO that it would not switch on :roll:
kanga wrote:I was once involved in designing some gizmo for HM Forces, which had to be useable portable, in vehicles (12v or 24v DC) or mains (110v or 240v AC, 50 or 60 Hz). The electronic innards (very sophisticated) turned out to be easier than creating input power options which would be 'squaddie-proof'. We thought we'd done it, by having obvious labelled, different, mutually incompatible and unambiguous sorts of power lead inputs, protected by circuit breakers and fuses; all of which added considerably to size and weight (bad news for the manpack and airborne uses).

One unit to which it was delivered, in serious need of its capability because it was "in harm's way", reported that its model as delivered 'had never worked', and 'could we send out an engineer to their (dodgy, accessible with difficulty) location ?'. It turned out the squaddie charged with setting it up had bodged the local 240v AC supply to go into the 12v DC input by cutting off the plug which would have gone straight into the correct socket, and then taped down the circuit breaker when it kept popping. When the internal fuse blew he opened up the case (forcefully) and used foil across the fuse points .. When that did not work (and there was a nasty smell of burning) he had not 'fessed up but only told the SNCO that it would not switch on :roll:

Did you supply an instruction booklet?
Of course, with great detail in explicit but simple text, photos and diagrams; approved in draft by the military 'customers' before printing. I suppose it is just possible that those senior to middle rank Officers did not understand squadrons as well as, say, SNCOs might have done :roll: