For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Miscellaneous
said
not properly tought through

Colloquial Irish?
English"thought"...(appraised)
"taught" ....(information disseminated )

Anyway, I agree with the underlying sentiment. :D
By riverrock
Growing up, there were two people in my secondary school with severe nut allergies so nuts were banned. However the contract the school had with a vending machine company meant they couldn't control what was being sold - you guessed it - snickers.

I know one adult with a nut intolerance (will be sick if she had nuts) and another with a severe allergy. Severe alergy girl will go into anaphylactic shock if she consumes in any way but is fine with other people in the same room eating nut based products.
She almost died on her first date with her now fiancé when the Indian restaurant used peanut oil in a dish, despite her asking and checking...
By kanga
Irv Lee wrote:Anyone other than me opened it expecting it to be Brexit/Salzburg related?

.. I think the '/Salzburg' may have been superfluous .. :)

[I noted that in Salzburg the PM briefed colleagues on the Salisbury (Novichok) saga. It must have confused the Italian delegates (except that they were probably fluent in English and German) since 'Salisburgo' is the Italian for both Salzburg and Salisbury, for the same obvious reason ('salt town') :wink: ]
Irv Lee, OCB, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Cessna57
riverrock wrote:Growing up, there were two people in my secondary school with severe nut allergies so nuts were banned. However the contract the school had with a vending machine company meant they couldn't control what was being sold - you guessed it - snickers.

I know one adult with a nut intolerance (will be sick if she had nuts) and another with a severe allergy. Severe alergy girl will go into anaphylactic shock if she consumes in any way but is fine with other people in the same room eating nut based products.
She almost died on her first date with her now fiancé when the Indian restaurant used peanut oil in a dish, despite her asking and checking...

I have a friend that eating a Chilli will put in hospital. He met his wife at a party when somebody thought they were being funny and put chilli on his pizza. She accompanied him in the ambulance and a few years later they got married!

These children that can’t go into a school that may contain traces of nuts. I presume they can’t go into a McDonalds or any other public eating place? Do completely nut free restaurants exist I wonder?

I can understand it to a point, but we have peanuts at home in the cupboard, is the school really saying that I couldn’t make my own child’s sandwiches?
By Paul_Sengupta
Miscellaneous wrote:Here's a story for those dismissing food allergies to consider.

Are people actually dismissing food allergies? The original query wasn't about someone eating something which may contain something they're allergic to, it was about other people eating something which may have been prepared somewhere where an allergen is processed in the same building, so not being able to 100% guarantee that food doesn't contain trace amounts of the allergen.
By cockney steve
Slight thread drift, but, I feel, important for the wider-public to know.....
Groundnut is also known as peanut. The allergen is the protein contained in these nuts.

The refining process of groundnut oil uses a very high temperature which destroys the protein-content in Groundnut (AKA "vegetable" oil )
The oil is perfectly safe for handling and consumption by a person with peanut allergy.

Note:- Rape, Palm and Sunflower are other common "vegetable-oils " used in cooking and foodstuffs. :)