For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does the panel have any current recommendations for a cheapish Android phone (my venerable Samsung S4 mini is starting to get problematical with the latest versions of various apps; irksome, as apart from that it's fine).

My flying tokens cost £30/hour and I'd like to keep the phone budget to no more than a day's flying! (Possibly a long day…). Dual SIM would be nice, as I'm between countries, and a decent screen as it'll be a back-up for my tablet in the cockpit.
By TopCat
nallen wrote:(my venerable Samsung S4 mini is starting to get problematical with the latest versions of various apps; irksome, as apart from that it's fine).

My OH just had her S4 mini die completely on her.

She wanted another smallish phone and after some research, went for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact, which is only a little taller and about the same width as the S4 Mini. £28 per month with 4GB, unlimited everything else, and no upfront cost.

It's quite nice, if you don't mind the slightly boxy design, and the power switch on the right hand side along with the volume control.

She's had it almost a week now, very happy with it so far.
nallen liked this
By cotterpot
Over last two months I have had
Moto G6 Play - 4000 mAh battery lasted me for ages, generally about 3 days between charges. Other stuff works fine. Camera OK. Usb b connector, headphone jack, single sim. £150 ish

I dropped it, well it fell out my shirt pocket - it is bigger than my old Moto E - and cracked screen, and under insurance they sent me a new one - but a Moto G6. I have no idea why. 3000mAh battery, better camera, so the reviews say, usb c connector - rapid charge, headphone jack and dual sim tray. £200 ish

Both ran/run Easy VFRbasic fine plus a load of other stuff I use.
I have had the Moto G6 for three or four months which seems to match your spec and has so far been boringly reliable.

64Gb (but you can add an SD card if you want) comes in at about £200 sim free

Rob P
I'm currently using an LG V20, which I'm very happy with (with the addition of a couple of spare batteries).

Big screen, good GPS, excellent utility, all the memory I can eat, adequate sound, very good camera - works well on the ground and in the air. I use it for EasyVFR/PAW and/or memorymap flying, and as my book reader as well as all the usual things on the ground.

It's no longer latest model, looking online that or the very similar (but no swappable battery) G6 can be had for a few hundred.

G
seanxair wrote:Battery good unless running TomTom speed camera app,

I think that's a common experience with the speed camera app. I have a power outlet in the centre console / armrest of the car and plug the phone in there on a 100mm lead. The GPS functions perfectly with the lid closed, and turned to full volume I can still hear it.

Rob P
By seanxair
Rob P wrote:
seanxair wrote:Battery good unless running TomTom speed camera app,

I think that's a common experience with the speed camera app. I have a power outlet in the centre console / armrest of the car and plug the phone in there on a 100mm lead. The GPS functions perfectly with the lid closed, and turned to full volume I can still hear it.

Rob P

I do the same in the car with a short lead though the phone is on the centre console forward of the gear selector. Used it sans lead in one of our delivery vehicles on Monday and it got pretty hot and used a lot of battery. Doesn't seem to get hot when on charge using the speed camera app.
By skydriller
My son (16) has just bought himself (well, my ex-wife bought it for him) a Samsung Galaxy S-expensive.... its apparently very good, and cost about 5-6hrs flying in an aeroclub Robin.. :roll:

Im obviously paying my Ex-wife way too much alimony.... :furious: :guns:

Regards, SD...
By nallen
Thanks for all the advice. Shiny Moto G6 arrived a few days ago (dual SIM, with extra memory). Still getting used to the extra size and weight, but the larger screen is a bonus for the eyes, and the camera is a definite step up.

It runs Runway HD a treat (I believe other flight-planning software may be available).