For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Quite an assumption re being uninsured. I am allowed to drive someone else’s car with their permission due to having included third party insurance which I believe is still typical. Sounds like a plausable situation from what has been written. Why they didn’t reverse, blast the horn and why the builder was driving might be questions you would want the insurance company to ask.
KingJames wrote:Quite an assumption re being uninsured. I am allowed to drive someone else’s car with their permission due to having included third party insurance which I believe is still typical. Sounds like a plausable situation from what has been written. Why they didn’t reverse, blast the horn and why the builder was driving might be questions you would want the insurance company to ask.
I don't believe it is still typical that you can drive another car on your own insurance. It certainly hasn't been for the last ten years on mine, which has been over a few providers. It seems to be one of the things that has been quietly dropped.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
From our current admiral insurance.
The policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner a private motor car as long as the other car is not a car either owned by you or your partner or hired or leased to you or your partner under a hire purchase or leasing agreement or hired or rented to you or your partner under a car hire or rental agreement, within the UK, providing there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car. Please note this cover is Third Party Only. All drivers must also be driving in accordance with the terms of a valid licence and must not be disqualified from driving.
A few years ago....proceeding uphill, approaching a former railway-bridge,beneath which was a parked car. Approaching downhill vehicle pulls out to pass parked car. As there was no pavement on my side, I elected to hit the bridge-pillar. the other car squeezed through the gap, leaving tyre burns on my O/S Other driver took numerous photos on his phone.
No visible damage on his car.

Amazingly, his version of events..." I stopped behind parked car, other driver hit pillar, bounced off, slid 50 feet uphill and hit my car causing £1000+ damage"
Despite a series of photos showing the impossibility of that scenario(not least the paint on the brick pillar and the large notch in the N/S front wing, which would have caused my car to spin,had it carried enough energy to travel further uphill.....Oh, it didn't rip off the wheel either! I did not make a claim. I did not lose my NCB All correspondence with my insurer was clearly marked "NOT A CLAIM, INFORMATION ONLY"
Was very aggrieved the insurers accepted a fraudulent claim,they said it was not worth the bother to investigate...even more aggrieved that all honest motorists pick up the tab for this sort of fraud.
Seriously thinking of fitting dashcams now, as there's so much poor driving(suspect because it keeps the revenue flowing for road tax petrol duty, component VAT etc.
The more motorists, the more revenue (and the Old Bill can generate lots of speeding/parking fines as well...so, it would appear that passing the test and roadcraft are 2 entirely separate issues. :evil:
cockney steve wrote:.., the more revenue (and the Old Bill can generate lots of speeding/parking fines as well....

AIUI, none of the fines or charges for speeding or parking go (or have ever gone) to Police Forces. Happy to be corrected. :roll:

[Or is 'Old Bill' a nickname, hotherto unknown to me, for the Chancellor ? :) ]
^^^^^^Naa..."cold" herto, :wink: referred to the Peelers, Rozzers, Plod,Pigs and assorted other epithets.
I wasn't suggesting the revenue went direct to Plod, but, the more they raise for Central Government, the more likely they will avoid unjustified cuts in their funding. after all , the Government isn't so stupid as to bite the hand that feeds them, (he says optimistically) :?