For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
There are a few good things on at the moment, but not a dickie bird on here?

Is no-one watching "The Bodyguard" or Black Earth Rising"? Both will be on iPlayer, but I haven't added links as they'll expire in a month or so.

Then there's "The Press", "Trust" and "Wonderlust", also on iPlayer, "Vanity Fair" & "Strangers" on ITV.

Then there's a whole lot of foreign stuff on All4 - any recommendations?

The Bodyguard gets uniformly great reviews and despite some plot holes is a well paced thriller.... Keeley Hawes plays a really good part as the Home Secretary. I've only seen one episode of Black Earth Rising. It has great potential, but might be difficult in places. I watched the 1st episode of Trust. Donald Sutherland & Anna Chancellor were good, but I don't know how they can stretch the story for a further nine episodes when we all know how it ends!

The Press has given "The Press" mediocre reviews - perhaps unsurprisingly. Both it and Wanderlust are amusing in parts. Vanity Fair is a lavish (seemingly no expense spared) costume drama with a good cast. Olivia Cooke is well cast as Becky Sharp .

So... what are you all watching now that Channel 4 has hung up Arthur Williams' headset (hopefully, temporarily)?

Oh, and GBBO is back!
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bodyguard is great - look forward to each new episode.

I'm a bit behind but I've just started on Ozark (Netflix) - that is very enjoyable.

Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) was good, albeit with much need to 'suspend belief'

GBBO great as usual as is Extra Slice. After everyone panicking and thinking armageddon was nigh, it's actually a better programme now it's on 4. Prue is great.

I veto All4 as I can't bear watching their heavily compressed SD carp output. Which is a shame because there is some good stuff under the 'Walter Presents' banner.

My dirty, dirty secret (and I can't believe I'm admitting to this) was watching Celebrity Big Brother. I really don't know how it happened... just got drawn into it somehow. I am deeply ashamed and won't do it again.
By PaulB
stevelup wrote:Bodyguard is great - look forward to each new episode.

Jed Mercurio's writing is great, isn't it..... Isn't there a new series of "Line of Duty" to come?

I'd looked at Ozark... will add it to my list. I agree about Jack Ryan.... it was eminently watchable, though.

GBBO remains as good as ever..... not see bread week yet.

My dirty, dirty secret (and I can't believe I'm admitting to this) was watching Celebrity Big Brother. I really don't know how it happened... just got drawn into it somehow. I am deeply ashamed and won't do it again.

Indeed you won't...

Endemol/C5 cancels CBB
By Flyin'Dutch'
I once looked for about 5 mins and decided that I could probably get through life without having to observe the most intimate details of life in an aquarium by some dysfunctional folk.

Bit like twitter - having your phone filled with the cr@p generated by opinionaters.
Spooky liked this
By TheKentishFledgling
Thoroughly enjoying re-watching Better Call Saul from the start before we get to the new series. If you enjoyed Breaking Bad, it's a must. Frustratingly slow paced, but that's less of a problem when you can binge watch.

Looking forward to Bodyguard but will wait until the whole lot has been broadcast. If you watched and enjoyed Making a Murderer on Netflix, give The Staircase a go. Ozark next on the watchlist.

Also glad to see Amazon have confirmed the date for the series three of The Man in the High Castle...early October I think. Given it's two years since the last series, I was beginning to think they'd canned it.

Reluctant to say we "enjoyed" The Handmaid's Tale, but it certainly made compulsive viewing. As The Times' review said: "an utterly joyless viewing experience" :lol:
By PaulB
flybymike wrote:I’m either watching or recording all mentioned in the first post (except of course GBBO....)

GBBO is harmless entertainment that restores your faith in humanity.....

... and then there's SCD (which is largely scraping the barrel with celebrities this year (although I doubt it can scrape as deep as CBB!))
By Pete L
I'm always suspicious of preachy drama which is the BBC's stock in trade now. I know what I'm supposed to believe but I don't want to be reminded of it while relaxing.

Stuff like The Pinkertons and the Miss Fisher Mysteries gets through the same agenda but's a lot more fun.

We enjoyed Deadwind, Finnish noir. The female detective eventually hit an even note aiming for half way between Saga and Marcella.

But the Bodyguard is great.

Still waiting for Series 3 of The Expanse to make it to Netflix UK.
Artschool liked this
I’ve not seen any of the above mentioned stuff - I must get in more. I sometimes watch BBC Alba up to around 9pm then switch off as some shoite country music on it starts around that time. Oh, and Gogglebox when that is on.
JAFO liked this
By PaulB
defcribed wrote:I saw the second half of The Bodyguard the other day.

Saw enough to predict the obligatory BBC right-on "it's not just Muslims who do suicide bombs" part of the story line.

You're missing a really good drama and I'm not sure that your assessment wholly correct.

I'm in the middle of Deadwind on Netflix.

I'm also trying to catch up on films - I'm not a great cinema goer - as they appear on Netflix or Prime. I'd never seen taxi Driver previously so watch that a couple of weeks ago. There's also Das Boot and The Gangs of New York which, given it involved Scorsese, Di Caprio & Day-Lewis has potential.

Any other to recommend?
By Dave W
stevelup wrote:Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) was good, albeit with much need to 'suspend belief'

I was a bit conflicted with JR, but eventually decided that I had enjoyed it and look forward to Series 2. The acting was excellent, the cinematography and production values the same. It's just that the story was a bit "meh".

Definitely agree about suspending disbelief, especially at one point when the Good Guys are worried that the Bad Guys are "running a trace" on an online communication.

Well, why the heck weren't you doing that yourselves? (The answer is that the next scene would have been a drone strike and the series would have ended a few episodes early, I guess. :D)
By cockney steve
Where do you people find the time? by the time i've visited the various fora, read emails,etc. it's time for bed.

Watched telly for a bit over 3 years that I was with my partner....she's been gone 6 years now....ignored it for several years before and since.

Cancelled the Sunday Times after 50-odd years. spelling, punctuation and factual inaccuracies, less than half the content as heretofore and an offhand newsagent who tried to palm me off with a Telegraph when they failed to deliver and sold out....Don't miss that ,either.
The world still revolves, despite the TV licence extortion mafia sending ever more threatening letters every month, telling me I haven't got a TV licence and I must have one or...(Insert your own threat of duress,hell and damnation here )

Waiting for their gorilla to turn up on my doorstep, he'll not return!