For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
True Detective is probably one of the best things I’ve watched - possibly S1 more than S2 but the second one was still excellent.

Not sure if it’s on any of the streaming platforms at the moment.
By PeteSpencer
I'm halfway through 'Killing Eve' having got so engrossed I 'went ahead' on iPlayer.

As for Bodyguard I've got the whole lot ready for a binge but trying to avoid spoilers, which are everywhere, is a bleedin' nightmare.

I think I've turned into a 'box set' moron.

Peter :wink: :wink:
By PaulB
Bill McCarthy wrote:Damn, I missed “The Silent War” on the beeb and my ‘puter is too slow to go catchup on iplayer

Can’t you download it and watch it offline?
By PaulB
Well, I'm still watching and enjoying "Press" on BBC1 at 21:00 on Thursdays.

The reviews were OKish in the newspapers, but I don't know whether they were being critical because it was nowhere near the truth or too close to the truth. That said, like "Bodyguard", it's primarily entertainment and it is entertaining.

It's about 20 newspapers, The Post (a populist red top (maybe The Sun... perhaps) and the lefty liberal "quality" title, The Herald (just possibly, The Guardian.)

There was an interesting comment in this evening's episode where a journalist at The Herald was told that the paper wouldn't exist in 2 years' time.

... and did anyone catch the documentary on Hedy Lamarr on BBC4 earlier?
By chevvron
Watched a film called 'Allied' on C4 last night about 'secret agents' who marry, settle in England then the wife is suspected of being a Nazi agent.
Apart from some glaringingly poor continuity issues eg the use of a post war design of phone box, they filmed at an airfield which I immediately recognised as Halton from the hangars and apron.
The CGI team had been very busy though, creating extra hangars and loads of Lysanders and Lancasters parked all over the place.
Pity the airfield will be closing in a few years when the RAF move out, it would surely be an asset to the Aylesbury area (there are several large firms based in Aylesbury) with several private aircraft already based there, thriving flying and gliding clubs and a grass runway of over 1000m which has reinforcement under the surface.(they landed 3 Vulcans and 2 Comets on it in the '60s)
By PeteSpencer
Anybody see 'Concert for George' on Sky Arts last night.

First broadcast in 2002 in tribute to George Harrison

Over three hours of fantastic music including a whole Indian piece especially composed by Ravi Shankar and conducted by his daughter , Anoushka - a bit of a babe, who also played an amazing sitar solo.....

Great music from the likes of Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Ringo Starr, Paul Mc Cartney, Billy Preston, Joe Brown, Jules Holland Andy Fairweather-Lowe, Tom Petty. George's son (dead ringer for George..) Dhani also in the band

Fantastic evening's entertainment, recorded for posterity.

Peter :wink:
By chevvron
Tue 5th Feb
They showed one of the episodes of 'Midsomer Murders' where my sister was an 'extra'
Crowd scene at a prizegiving ceremony near the end of the episode; a couple of the actors were in shot and she was a couple of rows behind them; permed hair and huge spectacles.
Same view happened 2 or 3 times; I trust you all saw her :twisted:
By plus7g
chevvron wrote:Watched a film called 'Allied' on C4 last night about 'secret agents' who marry, settle in England then the wife is suspected of being a Nazi agent.
Apart from some glaringingly poor continuity issues eg the use of a post war design of phone box, they filmed at an airfield which I immediately recognised as Halton from the hangars and apron.
The CGI team had been very busy though, creating extra hangars and loads of Lysanders and Lancasters parked all over the place.
Pity the airfield will be closing in a few years when the RAF move out, it would surely be an asset to the Aylesbury area (there are several large firms based in Aylesbury) with several private aircraft already based there, thriving flying and gliding clubs and a grass runway of over 1000m which has reinforcement under the surface.(they landed 3 Vulcans and 2 Comets on it in the '60s)

What did you think of it ?
The (main) Lysander was, I believe , scratch built at huge expense ( car engine powered for taxiing) and now lives at Tangmere museum
By chevvron
plus7g wrote:
chevvron wrote:Watched a film called 'Allied' on C4 last night about 'secret agents' who marry, settle in England then the wife is suspected of being a Nazi agent.

What did you think of it ?
The (main) Lysander was, I believe , scratch built at huge expense ( car engine powered for taxiing) and now lives at Tangmere museum

I've flown a lot from Halton in the late '60s (613 Gliding School) and again in the '90s (Ridgerunners Microlight Centre) so I know the airfield pretty well.
I thought the aircraft depicted on CGI were superb; obviously there had to be a 'real' Lizzie for the cockpit shots but you couldn't tell it from the other aircraft and as for the airfield, the 'extra' hangars produced by CGI along the western boundary were pretty effective too.
Pity the storyline was such carp.
I've recently heard that Aylesbury Vale District Council have not included housing on the airfield in their local plan so maybe some entrepreneur will buy it and continue operating it as an airfield.(Some hope). Where the RAGSA Centre will move to I don't know; maybe back to Bicester?