For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Just read an article in The Telegraph about McLaren F1’s new driver for 2019, 19 year old Lando Norris.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2 ... ecame-f1s/

The headline of the piece is “Lando Norris: How a boy who left school without any qualifications became F1's next young star”

Apparently Norris has no GCSE’s to his name (not only that, but he went to Millfield so it’s probably cost his parents dear for him to achieve this.)

I’m really just using this as an example of attitudes to education questioning why the papers make a big thing of this. OK, he will be an F1 driver and will be earning millions (or is he actually bringing money TO the team?) but is he (and there are other examples in other walks of life) actually a good role model for young people today?

I wonder how many kids ignore education to play football, or cricket or whatever, hoping (and probably believing) that they will be the next big thing like their hero, when in reality, their chances are almost zero. I guess it’s the same with X-factor with “entertaining”.

I’m not saying don’t have these dreams, but don’t blow everything else for an almost impossible dream?

Tangentially related, is it British thing (or is it universal) that at school, intelligence is often seen by kids as a bad thing? Words to describe it like “swot” or “teacher’s pet” all seem to have negative connotations.

As usual, just pondering......
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
stickandrudderman wrote:A good education is a necessary step if one wants to climb the corporate ladder. It is not so necessary if you want to build your own ladder.

Actually a particular set of box ticking bits of paper are required to climb the corporate ladder these days. That's why organisations are so successful in both the public and private sectors. :roll:

A good education as opposed to a particular set of results that meet infantile targets is a great deal harder to achieve than it was a generation or so ago.
Lindsayp liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
The Brits love a good rags to riches story, although this one seems to be about riches to riches, but not being clever enough to get some GCSEs.

Good for him but doesn't help Johnny average to understand that this only applies to a tiny minority of kids and society as a whole that it is much better to educate the young well so that UK society can reap the benefits of a well educated population.
A friend of my son is working for McLaren as a consultant at the moment. Previously, he was working behind the counter in our local Job Centre.

I can't remember if he went to University let alone what he studied. What I do know is he is one of Europes fastest Playstation F1 gaming drivers. He used to sit at home creating tutorial videos for each of the circuits and then uploaded them to Youtube. That in itself became a nice little sideline, along with tournament prizes, and then McLaren called!

Someone has to fill these unique slots and it isn't always a degree that opens the door. But having that as a plan would have been nuts.
"F1's next young star".
Blimey , have they got some sort of crystal ball then ? He hasn't driven a race yet .

Just typical of some of the meaningless tosh that makes 'news' these days. But I'm sure that if his parents want to chuck even more money towards his F1 stardom as they did at his schooling then who knows .
Let's just stick him in an F1 car and see what happens . Then commence with all the hyperbole.
What a contrast to someone like Jack Brabham. Who left school at 15 to work in a garage , raced on dirt-tracks and deserts in a whole variety of machinery he'd prepared himself , was three times world champ including 1966 in a car he'd designed himself .

But , I guess if you can make a career 'driving' an X-Box , :roll: [hope that's been risk assessed ]

Anyway , I'm thinking of having a crack at becoming the next World Air-Guitar Champion .
[ not sure what chord to play in yet though,,,,,,,,, :lol: ,,]
Just the media creating a 'dramatic' headline, as they do.

I don't believe many kids opt for a sport rather than education. Those bright enough to be educated know the value of pursuing both.

Incidentally he's a long, long way from being a top F1 earner. McLaren are in a poor state and have been for a few years with much in fighting and no performance or results. He won't go hungry for now, but will have to prove himself before he becomes a high earner.
Millfield's website suggests that GCSEs are its main year 11 qualification.

I wasn't really commenting on Norris or Millfield - those are asides in this story. In fact this story is probably not the best springboard to an "attitudes to education" discussion. However, the issue of unrealistic dreams for Johnny Average does exist and Norris is as much an exception from the norm as a Euromillions jackpot winner or a pop or football superstar would be.
Miscellaneous wrote:I don't believe many kids opt for a sport rather than education. Those bright enough to be educated know the value of pursuing both.

It's not just sport, it's "entertainment", presenting (on TV) and a number of other things. The UK's GCSE results are in no way exceptional and could certainly be better, and as said in the original post, there is sometimes (often) a peer disdain about academic achievement. I went to a state grammar school, and it was even apparent there within the school.

Incidentally he's a long, long way from being a top F1 earner. McLaren are in a poor state and have been for a few years with much in fighting and no performance or results. He won't go hungry for now, but will have to prove himself before he becomes a high earner.

Indeed, as hinted in the OP, he may actually be contributing to the team financially (or his backers might be).
By johnm
Anyway , I'm thinking of having a crack at becoming the next World Air-Guitar Champion .
[ not sure what chord to play in yet though,,,,,,,,, ,,]

I think you might mean key not chord, all about education you see :-)
stickandrudderman liked this
Chris Martyr wrote:What a contrast to someone like Jack Brabham.

... and, like him or not, Lewis Hamilton. I read recently that he's probably the last of the F1 drivers to get there on raw talent alone without significant financial backing.
I'm really not sure of your point Paul. :?

People from all walks of life have dreams and not many achieve those dreams, largely because they remain as dreams and do nothing about converting them to reality, as happened with Andy Murray, Williams sisters, Lewis Hamilton…

We could equally discuss the rights and wrongs of parents pushing their children as hard in particular directions.

These stories are more about nurturing than education.

Seems to me that rather than it being surprising those with less education occasionally make good, it's inevitable. Many are successful in life in ways the papers don't find sufficiently interesting.
By Morten
Chris Martyr wrote:Anyway , I'm thinking of having a crack at becoming the next World Air-Guitar Champion .
[ not sure what chord to play in yet though,,,,,,,,, :lol: ,,]

I assume you know that those are held in Finland each year, the last one being a fortnight ago?

In typical joined up UK fashion, there are 2 competing Air Guitar organisations - UKAG and AGUK - both telling the world that they are the official one :roll:

Back to the topic, it is s sad state of affairs when I hear kids (or, for that matter adults) talk that it is 'cool' not to understand basic maths and that associated basic knowledge has no value.

Having said that, it is nice that there are many ways for 'hobbies' to become jobs in the social media world - or the F1 world if you have the money. But even then, if you cannot do simple maths, you will fail to make the most of your abilities - or rather, your manager will do better than he should. Or at least that's what i keep telling myself.