For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I tried the app.

It's bollox.

One instance... It suggested I accelerated too fast. How did it know the road situation at the time? There could have been a sixteen wheel juggernaut, brakes locked, about to ram me up the rear.

I'd suggest it's a marketing ploy designed to attract tech obsessed customers.

Rob P
PaulB, Miscellaneous liked this
When my son learned to drive he was offered a substantial reduction for have a box fitted to the car for a year. It was subject to not speeding, braking excessively or burning rubber like a nutter too often.

Obviously unlike Rob he was never in the position of being in danger of being rammed up the rear. Although my daughter was involved in a multi car pile up about 10 days ago and she might well have welcomed evidence.

Obviously as someone who speeds habitually I won’t be getting one. :D
I do some work for motor manufacturers and get to talk to lots of potential customers.

The PCP deals offered on starter cars, including insurance, are very attractive. When you explain to the parents that a condition of the insurance is the fitting of one of the black boxes they are invariably delighted

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Sooty25 wrote:I dare not, my premiums would go up, significantly!

That's my fear, however they assure me it won't be higher than quoted. But then I doubt many would ever get the full additional 14%.

Rob P wrote:How did it know the road situation at the time?

As crude as I expected!

I'll let it go.

Thanks for the input,
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I took the advice of "moneysaving expert" and compared the comparison sites. he also advises to get quotes from the 3 or4 companies who aren't in that pool......one had such a terrible website , I lost the will and skipped to the next....Aviva was actually a few quid cheaper than any other.
Subsequent renewal increase saw me back with Esure who maintained the same premium, this renewal. I added a 2.8 BMW estate(with towbar) on a separate policy,exactly the same premium as the Volvo 1800 standard estate, added 40-Y-o son (argggghhhh....that makes me feel ancient ) at no extra cost......2 cars for £360 seems fair.
me-16yrs NCB, son over 10 yrs.

Moneysaving expert! tells you how to get the best deal, you don't have to use his site. :)
Just this morning been trying to insure 19 yr old daughters " new" car.... £90 to have the black box taken out of her old car £135 to fit to new car . Difference in premiums from companies insisting on black box to those that dont - £50 !!! :(
Still loads of money though ........ :oops:
The black boxes and phone apps operate incredibly simplistically.

They can assess whether you exceed the speed limit or not, and how hard you brake & accelerate. These things are only loosely connected to safe driving. They'll also look at when and where you drive, and no doubt look unkindly on lots of driving late at night.

I consider myself pretty darn safe, and no doubt a box or an app would consider me a lunatic and an accident waiting to happen.

Conversely I can imagine exactly the sort of driver out there who would, according to the box or app, be incredibly safe, but in reality be an absolute menace.
Iceman liked this
defcribed wrote:Conversely I can imagine exactly the sort of driver out there who would, according to the box or app, be incredibly safe, but in reality be an absolute menace.

On a 5 hours + drive yesterday I lost count of the number of absolute menaces encountered, topped by a couple on a motorcycle doing about 15mph as the pillion attempted to get a selfie from a stick with bike, loch and mountain. :wall: Not to mention those suddenly reducing speed to stick cameras out the window, or caravan with 5 mile tailback behind and clear road ahead.

The standard of driving is generally shocking.
Having just passed a significant birthday I thought it might be fun to take a wrinkly driving assessment. An 'instructor hour' for the flightless.

I shall report back tomorrow.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this