For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
You do know. that if you drop your smart phone into water - the best thing to do is immediately turn it off and stick it in a bag of rice.

I’ll let you google the rest if you don’t know it, but I do know that sticking car radios in the freezer reset the security chip many a year back, allowing you to plug it back into its original car. Of course, the reason for the current interrupt was changing of battery or laying up over winter. Admittedly I did learn the trick from the scrotes who came to the local pub trying to sell ripped out units..,,
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just to put my little hi-jacking of this thread to bed:

Settled on a iPhone 7 plus from JL, and the nice lady in Voda shop gave me a sim card and transferred my existing sim only package (£9.32 per month).

Because my old phone was backed up to iCloud, transferring all contacts, music, photos, videos etc to new phone was simplicity itself.

And the camera is stunning after 6 years of iPhone 4!

Peter :wink:
By PeteSpencer
Jim Jones wrote:Have you now got to get a whole new set of lighting connected leads?

Comes with one lead plus head 'phones with lead/plug and adaptor for old earphones.
Already have lightning leads for ipad mini .

May buy another one for the car, though!

Peter :wink:
Jim Jones liked this
By riverrock
Walled garden was really obvious last week. I was trying to put together a video taken from multiple sources by kids, some who had android phones, on an iPad with minimal Internet connection. There is apparently no simple way to do this.
iPhones could transfer their video with "airdrop". Airdrop is rebranded open standard "WiFi Direct" available on all android devices and many laptops but it actively blocks non-apple devices.
Apple used to allow, but now block, Bluetooth data transfer.
We tried downloading the videos using a Web browser but Safari has had its download functionality intentionally removed.
Apple also have removed the ability to access file shares (samba).
We eventually spent all night uploading, then downloading them via drop box.
Just as hard to get the video back out of the ipad afterwards.

There are probably apps which get round some of these intentional restrictions but it wasn't my iPad.
By stevelup
AirDrop is nothing to do with WiFi-Direct which has never worked on iOS.

It’s an entirely different protocol.

Safari doesn’t block downloads - any file which has a valid handler registered on the device will download fine, and be saved into that application’s sandbox. More likely some weird issue with the site you were trying to download from.

What you were doing does sound like it was a pain in the behind, but there were indeed many possible workarounds.

iOS doesn't natively support connecting to network shares (of any variety - they are not discriminating against Samba) but there are apps that support it.

One alternative suggestion would be to install VLC which has a built in file server. Transfer the files into VLC at which point they are accessible to other apps using the Files tool.

With regard to getting the video file off the device, it’s difficult to understand what you would do with the finished file that could be difficult!

I think, ultimately, the problem here was trying to use an iPad for a task that would have been entirely more suited to being done on a laptop!
By riverrock
Airdrop appeared in 2011, wifi direct was available in 2008. They do exactly the same thing - discovery of devices followed by wifi data transfer (or other direct features) using standard internet protocols.
One is an open standard and the other is mainly undocumented.
As wifi direct is based on standard wifi hotspots, you can connect iOS devices to a wifi direct device (which is what some of the interoperable apps do such as ShareIt) , but iOS doesn't implement the file transfer service. Apple could easily have used WiFi Direct but intentionally chose not to.

If you try to click on a link to a video file in Safari it will play the video with no download option.

Yes there are various apps, including VLC player that get round the restrictions.
By OCB
I actually don't know the protocol that well - but having used Airdrop with and without issues, it definitely uses Bluetooth -completely different wavelength and standards - even if it probably would work without it.

A few years ago I'd have spent hours digging into the gubbins, but I'm too old for that carp now...