For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
joe-fbs wrote:All the Rod Liddle quote does is confirm that (1) he is an unpleasant person (b) he works for a multi-national corporation in whose interests it is to attack the BBC.

I think that might better read " .. further confirm .." ; see Hutton Report :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Liddle

.. implying that cited daughter is 13.

I do not watch Dr Who, but wish its current producers no ill-will. When my children were that age it may have been when there were no new series being made; anyway, IIRC, they did not watch it.
By Mike Tango
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this season.

And Dr Who, from the very first episode in 1963, has never shied away from education, social commentary or moral and political allegory.

Nothing new there in this series, if one thinks there is one hasn’t been paying enough attention in years gone by.
By joe-fbs
MT is right, dealing with the real world through speculative fiction is what great sci-fi does. My slight gripe about some of this series is the heavy way that it has been done, not the principle of doing it.
By joe-fbs
There was a great scene with Tom Baker in Genesis of the Daleks where he agonised over destroying them at their inception.
By Mike Tango
New Doctor (significantly new Doctor!) and new show runner, there will inevitably be a bit of feet finding in the initial episodes.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Personally I am absolutely not with the naysayers. My two biggest objections to the present series are (a) it's too short, and (b) they're over-using the bloody sonic again. Both pretty minor criticisms in my book. I don't mind the move to something that's a lot more socially aware, even crusading, I'm very happy with the new actors, we'll get daleks and cybermen in due course - there's no need to hurry them.

I am somewhat annoyed to have just learned that the BBC is planning to air the next series in 2020, not 2019.

G
By JAFO
MT - Of course, you're entirely right about education and social commentary, I just feel that previously it's been woven into narrative not been the sole, and entirely obvious, reason for a whole series.

Anyway, I want some cybermen and the odd Dalek. I'm hoping at least Davros will make it into the NYD episode.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There have of-course been quite a few seasons before with neither Cybermen nor Daleks.

G
By Miscellaneous
I'm not a fan, however better half is watching it now. To me the new Doc seems too indistinctive for the role. Too ordinary.
By Trent772
How long to donk.....

She is fit as folk but thick as a brick when interviewed..... :pirat: