For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
I suspect it's an issue with the snazzy white full face helmets?

Rob P
By OCB
1ft long box of DVDs arrived yesterday from Amazon - 55 episodes of modern Who to rip, whack onto my Plex server and I'll get into them on the train + kitchen duty.

BTW, I was a bit unclear - I loved Dr Who as a kid, I got into it at the end of John Pertwee. Tom Baker was Dr Who for me. Yep - I remember the K-9 and Company, poor old Sylvester McCoy - even the McGann film. That, is where I stopped....
By chevvron
OCB wrote:1ft long box of DVDs arrived yesterday from Amazon - 55 episodes of modern Who to rip, whack onto my Plex server and I'll get into them on the train + kitchen duty.

BTW, I was a bit unclear - I loved Dr Who as a kid, I got into it at the end of John Pertwee. Tom Baker was Dr Who for me. Yep - I remember the K-9 and Company, poor old Sylvester McCoy - even the McGann film. That, is where I stopped....

Tom Baker had the best 'assistants'; Perry and Tegan.
The 'plot' was wrecked in my opinion by the worst 'doctor' Sylvester McCoy; I stopped watching it when out of desparation they moved it to a weekday slot to try to boost his ratings.
By OCB
...which is why I say play the ball - not the man.

The BBC apperachnix loathed Dr Who for long and weary.

Sylvester McCoy had/has all the quirks and acting abilities to be a great Doctor- he just got served a plate of, well, not very nice stuff, as he got the job whilst the Beeb were hell bent on killing off Dr Who.

Colin Baker on the other hand seemed like a lost sheep, probably should have kept to vet series?
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
"Old School" Doctor Who which the younglings in my family have enjoyed are a random selection - on the whole the stories, being multipart move slower.

The only one which spring to mind that they actively rewatch are City of Death, Pyramids of Mars and The Five Doctors. No idea whatsoever what they have in common, although I do like them.
By joe-fbs
So, latest series. No problem with cast, effects, etc. The last two episodes and the Rosa Parks one were excellent but the others were spoilt by blatant lecturing. We are neither Victorian children nor Americans needing lectures, we can decide for ourselves. JRR Tolkien said something along the lines of mistrusting allegory but relying on a person to consider history, true or feigned in their own minds. The Doctor Who writers could learn from this.
JAFO liked this
By Rob P
Enjoyed the last episode tonight muchly. Definitely the best series since the Eccleston one.

Sure the are niggles, but taken as a whole, good tele.

Bradley Walsh is an asset.

Rob P
By akg1486
I can see I need to stay away from this thread: I can only watch Dr Who on Netflix and the last Capaldi season was added two months or so ago. It'll be a year or so, I guess, until the current season is available.

Not being British, I have no childhood connection to the doctor. I have seen the new series, though. Eccelstone is my favourite but Blink is my favourite episode.

I think the idea with a woman doctor is brilliant, I hope she works out.
By flybymike
Rod Liddle in this week’s Sunday Times.

My daughter doesn’t watch Doctor Who any more. Normally this would be one of those wry and sweetly painful moments all parents go through: adolescence has suddenly arrived and gentle juvenilia is being jettisoned. From now on it will all be sullen glares, generational loathing, pierced eyebrows. Class A drugs and pregnancy followed by gender dysphoria and membership of Momentum.

But we are not quite on that track yet, because my daughter continues to watch past series of Doctor Who — in fact, she watches them when the current series is on. She wants a Dalek fix, much as we all do from time to time. What she doesn’t want, she says, is to be struck over the head each week by the monkey wrench of fatuous BBC liberal propaganda, with a few Carp aliens thrown in here or there as a sop. A perfectly balanced, all-boxes-ticked, ethnic and gender-balanced team trying to help Rosa Parks sit where she wants on that bus (episode three), or partition in India, the consequence of British wickedness, in which Muslims show how absolutely bloody marvellous they are (episode six), or the misogyny of witch trials and so on and so on.

My kid isn’t alone. The audience for the current series has dropped by more than a third. The kids don’t like it — they get all that tendentious rubbish at school “enrichment” class, when they should be learning how to add up.

(Indirectly reminded me about the Farmer’s post about only strictly PC ideals being acceptable these days, including posts on the forum. :wink: )
Pete L liked this
By nallen
flybymike wrote:Rod Liddle in this week’s Sunday Times.

My kid isn’t alone. The audience for the current series has dropped by more than a third. The kids don’t like it — they get all that tendentious rubbish at school “enrichment” class, when they should be learning how to add up.

Lidl on facts, however -- intensive internet research* indicates that (a) all Dr Who series lose a significant tranche of initial viewers, and (b) the current series is doing OK so far by comparison with its predecessors.

*The first entry on a Google search: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a870425/doctor-who-series-11-ratings-down-success-decline-jodie-whittaker/
By joe-fbs
All the Rod Liddle quote does is confirm that (1) he is an unpleasant person (b) he works for a multi-national corporation in whose interests it is to attack the BBC.
nallen, kanga liked this
By skydriller
joe-fbs wrote:All the Rod Liddle quote does is confirm that (1) he is an unpleasant person (b) he works for a multi-national corporation in whose interests it is to attack the BBC.

Well, I watched Dr Who the other week for the first time since David Tenant & Billie Piper because it happened to be on and there has been a certain hype surrounding the "Woman Doctor" so I thought why not check it out.

Unfortunately I wasnt impressed - It appeared to be a scare story preaching about how bad Amazon is...the story was literally being explained by the woman lead as if reading the plotline on IMDb, as the other characters just stood about. So yes, the guy has a point when he says that the BBC is being too PC and "inclusive" at the expense of actually making good TV.

Regards, SD..