For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By GolfHotel
I’d like to take this opertunity to promote the new concept of HECTOTHERMS.

It’s really simple.

Each HECTOTHERM is equivalent to a degree Fahrenheit, almost. To keep it simple.

But the freezing point of water at 1 atmosphere pressure is 0 degree H.

But again to keep it simple the boiling point of water at 1 atmosphere is 200 degree H.

I commend the idea to the house.
By lobstaboy
I rather like the Rankine scale. It starts with 0 at absolute zero, but the steps are equivalent to the steps in Fahrenheit. The temperature at the moment is about 540 R.
That ought to keep the Mail happy!
MikeB liked this
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Rankine scale is still used in algorithms to predict the flash point of unusual oil mixtures (for example a jet fuel contaminated with gasoline).
By kanga
PeteSpencer wrote:Whatever happened to degrees Celsius?

Peter

Daily Wail would not like to use something named for one of the dastardly continentals, Anders Celsius (a Swede), as opposed to that trustworthy Brit, Herr Fahrenheit .. oh, wait .. :wink:

I was delighted to see in Bern several years ago a public thermometer marked in Celsius and Reaumur :thumright:
By Leodisflyer
Rob P wrote:I support the "bigger number" theory.

A lot of people posting their exercise runs and cycles on social media now use kilometres and the most feasible explanation is that they think their friends will be more impressed to read that they have run 10k rather than 6 miles

Rob P

Partly agree on social media thing (I assume you include Strava), but I think its also beach a lot of the badges are set for 100k, 120k etc.

And yes, I have been sad enough to change my garmin display to km throw an extra 1/2 mile in on pointless loop when I've realised that I'm close to 100k or 120k on a ride, I've also kicked myself when I've got home from a ride measured in miles and released I was a few hundred m from a km badge.

Edited to add: https://twitter.com/stravawankers?lang=en
By mikehallam
So can I still boast of "doing the tonne" on my m/c ? Or is that 160.934 kph ?

Regardless, my American kit built a/c panel shows height either in feet amsl - or local - at the idle twiddle of a knob, with speed in miles per hour.
The latter can show an impressive high speed 100 mph cruise i.e. just about attaining the magic "ton" whereas those dastardly fat knots reduce one's cruise to a miserly 87 kt.

mikehallam.
By TopCat
Leodisflyer wrote:I've also kicked myself when I've got home

Allow me to save you the effort :twisted:

I bow to Rob's superior knowledge of human nature. Excuse me while I go away to roll my eyes for a long time....
Personally, I admire anyone who gets out on their bike and cycles such long distances. 100 km or 62 miles, who really cares. It is the effort that counts.

I keep my bike computer in km and kmh. I like the fact the speed and distance numbers clock up quicker than miles and mph. Life is far too short to roll eyes at others motivations. At least they are out doing it.

PS Speaking of cycling, a big thumbs up for Geraint Thomas. And fingers crossed tomorrow goes well. We might have the first ever Welsh winner of the Tour de France by Sunday. I was out on a training run a few years ago, and he passed me going up a gentle hill slipstreaming a scooter that was assisting his training run. I've no idea whether his speedo was set to kmh or mph, but he passed me like I was standing still. Boy, was it impressive. :thumleft:
kanga, MikeB liked this
By OCB
First time I flew a Morane Rallye, FI failed completely to mention the primary markings on the ASI were in km/h.

He was talking knots for the approach, I was looking at km/h.

He was getting a tad irate, but then again we were not far off stalling :oops:
By Pete L
Hmm. I have a feeling my backup ASI has both - kmh on the inner ring, but it is a German aircraft. Certainly the POH has both.
By Bill Haddow
OCB wrote:First time I flew a Morane Rallye, FI failed completely to mention the primary markings on the ASI were in km/h.

Well, they are French, essentially 2CV meets Belgian Minerva Series 1 Landy

OCB wrote:
He was getting a tad irate, but then again we were not far off stalling :oops:

Is it possible to stall a Rallye properly ? I thought they just mushed down gently, wings level, to a good-to-firm landing.

Bill H
By TopCat
Paultheparaglider wrote:PS Speaking of cycling, a big thumbs up for Geraint Thomas. And fingers crossed tomorrow goes well. We might have the first ever Welsh winner of the Tour de France by Sunday. I was out on a training run a few years ago, and he passed me going up a gentle hill slipstreaming a scooter that was assisting his training run. I've no idea whether his speedo was set to kmh or mph, but he passed me like I was standing still. Boy, was it impressive. :thumleft:

Yes, hurrah for the big G! Happily he didn't crash when he locked up his back wheel in the TT just now, what a ride into Paris that's going to be for him tomorrow.

His speedo is calibrated in Mach numbers, of course :)
Paultheparaglider liked this