For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Sorry haggis, but again, not the case. I was in Barrow-in-Furness at the time, saw the fifth scale model from which the entire submarine scale is taken. It cost millions of pounds on it’s own and I took particular notice of the machinery layout as it was “my part of ship”. The aft end is left off until pre-installation trials are carried out on the main propulsion unit, then it is installed and the aft end closed up. These trials are necessary because the aft end would have to be cut off again to remove large “bits” should they fail on board. He was having you on, surely.
Whether extensions (fnarr) were needed or not - I'm pretty sure that the invoices on all sides will have included 50 grand for a hammer etc.

One of my Uni profs used to build nukular power plants. He gave up trying to keep the sub-contractors "honest". He kept copies of invoices for temporary lighting that ran into millions, as he was sure one day there would be a Parliamentary Inquiry.

When it didn't turn up after 40 years, he kept them for teaching purposes.
OCB wrote:normally with that ability he should have been promoted to at least senior management levels, even Board level - but good old Homer knew eagles may soar, but weasels don’t get sucked into jet engines...

Weasels maybe, but I once hit a fox at around V1 on a 737. Didn’t go down the engine thankfully but left its earthly remains over the landing gear and the flap. I have a photo of the tech log entry somewhere.
OCB liked this
Flintstone wrote:I almost clipped a deer once, landing at Templehof.

I was landing, not the deer.

Oh dear, the poor deer. I can imagine it would have been quite dear for you, and the deer would be dearly departed if you had hit it. I guess you have no idea if the deer was ok?

(I’ll get my coat....)