For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Nomad63
Fantastic news all the boys are out of the cave.
I don't normally go for that "my heart goes out" malarky when I don't even know the persons involved, but this felt different, if just one of them hadn't made it, it would have been awfull..but they all did...huzzah :D
Shrek235 liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Such a shame that it ended up costing the life of one of the rescuers, though. :(

It was good to learn that we in the UK helped out, too; there were some experienced personnel on site, not least from Mendip Cave Rescue.
johnm liked this
By akg1486
In this day and age, I think we all need stories about real heroes. And to see all the people involved, not only the superhero divers but also people working the pumps, providing food, etc., has been heartwarming indeed.

I'm not a cave diver, but as a former pleasure diver I understand how remarkably difficult this rescue has been.
Shrek235 liked this
By riverrock
I know that those helping the Thai Navy SEALS included Brits, Aussies, Americans, Chinese, Danes, and an Israeli. There may be others. Have there been any other similar examples of a multi-national effort like this?
I guess large UN led disaster relief (drought etc) but that is on a different scale?

Congrats to all for a great outcome, even if one rescuer lost his life in the process.
By GrahamB
I wonder how many children didn’t get rescued from life on the streets and sex slavery in Thai cities during that same time?
By johnm
GrahamB wrote:I wonder how many children didn’t get rescued from life on the streets and sex slavery in Thai cities during that same time?

I don't think one can fix all the ills of the world and this was a remarkable example of international co-operation and it is to be encouraged as the more of it happens, the less of the downsides will endure. Co-operation, collaboration, a bit of friendly rivalry and competition make for a better world, but not a perfect one.

There will always be those who want to exploit weaker brethren and by collaborating and co-operating we can at least minimise if not eliminate their work
Shrek235, kanga liked this
By Cessna57
Apparently they were sedated, which in my opinion was a genius idea.

If I was stuck in a flooded cave system and they said we are going to sedate you/put you to sleep so you don’t panic, I’d be very thankful and I’d say

“Brilliant, thanks.. see you out there”

(I’d say thanks a lot more than that tbh)
By PaulB
This interview with John Volanthen is worth 5 mins of anyone's time.

By Flintstone
They’re out

Phew! I was getting worried that supplies of training shoes might be affected.