For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
map5623 wrote:
Leodisflyer wrote: https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/

Thanks for the link, perhaps many who voted to 'exit' had similar ideas.

Shame we do not have the calibre of politicians, in place, to do the job.

Like many such fanciful tales the little matter of how this might be achieved is entirely ignored. It is also worthy of note that most of it is in areas where our membership of the EU is no real barrier as the Germans have amply demonstrated. The barrier is the UK govt's political planning and execution capability which is close to zero on anything beyond a sound bite for media.

In talking about research and universities it appears that it is quite a while since the author saw one.
By johnm
Boris shares a characteristic of similar folk, he has no concept of absolute reality, reality to him is whatever he determines it might be day by day.....
By Leodisflyer
johnm wrote:Boris shares a characteristic of similar folk, he has no concept of absolute reality, reality to him is whatever he determines it might be day by day.....

Something of which I am quite proud is that I was speaking at an event at the same time as Farage was on a different stage. The room I was in was well attended (I wasn't talking politics).

The thing that surprised me was that some people I know went to the Farage thing and thought he came over well. It would be good to see a thesis that covers the extent to which charisma can overcome critical thinking.

I'm a systems person and more interested in facts and methods than personality, which makes charisma and its impact on people all the more interesting. BJ is certainly not lacking charisma and only a fool would underestimate his intelligence.
johnm liked this
By johnm
squawking 7700 wrote:Intelligence is one thing, reality, practicality and common sense are another.

I can vouch for that I met quite a few highly intelligent clowns at Cambridge University.
By PaulB
Leodisflyer wrote:BJ is certainly not lacking charisma and only a fool would underestimate his intelligence.

... but has he backed himself into a corner?

For the second time in three years, Boris Johnson, a politician whose ambition and superficial charm far outstrip his ability, judgment or principles, is destabilizing the British government and threatening the country’s future.

and

All of Mr. Johnson’s weaknesses have been exposed: his lazy reluctance to do detail, his preference for bluster over thinking, his contempt for business. The campaign was meant to secure his future; instead, in damaging the country, he fears he has wrecked his own future, too. As one of his allies told me last month: “He knows that the verdict of history is about to come down on him — and bury him.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/opin ... rexit.html
Cowshed liked this
By johnm
and only a fool would underestimate his intelligence

Not sure about intelligence, animal cunning I'd go with :twisted:
By Bill Haddow
riverrock wrote:
Its the run up till the 12th July - its always a problem point for a week or two. Kids are off school and bored, plus the marching season is underway. Shouldn't be seen as representative of all of NI.

Yeah, it is just bored kids letting off steam and the Beeb is exaggerating in its report:

Police have been attacked in Londonderry on the sixth consecutive night of violence in the city.
Seventy-four petrol bombs and two improvised explosive devices were thrown at officers on Thursday night, police said.
Makeshift barricades were also set on fire on a number of roads.
Police fired four plastic baton rounds in response. Three men, aged 18 and 22 and 50 were arrested, the 22-year-old for attempted murder.

Source : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-44816025

Bill H
By johnm
Clearly the NI issues are cause for concern and it would be a very bad thing if we started to slide back into the bad old days that the Good Friday agreement and frictionless border have done much to improve. What with this and Trump's pronouncements I could begin to favour conspiracy over cock up for once...……. :(