For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill Haddow
kanga wrote:
And, in emergency, you also have food. This is an advantage also of sled dogs over skidoos

Which is why the Chindits, on their long jungle patrols deep behind Japanese lines in Burma, used pack mules to carry the rations . .

Bill H
kanga liked this
By OCB
Paultheparaglider wrote:
OCB wrote:Also a regular at UKVAC. A forum for fans of video arcades

Sounds to me more like a forum for those who like to discuss the finer points of Dysons and Henrys. Which would fit with a username OCD.

It hasn't escaped my notice that your username is OCB and not OCD. I had to Google that one, and got this... :whistle:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=OCB

In fairness, I recall our bloodlines are both from the same part of Lanarkshire, so I fully accept we are probably both pretty messed up upstairs. :wink:

LOL.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the VAC acronym - especially since I used to run an HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) company in the 90s. It is easier to write than Video Arcade Collecting though :)

Indeed, we are from deepest darkest Lanarkshire - is it still heart disease capital of the world?

As for OCB - funny definitions, but not even close :lol:

Truth be told, it came from a drawling Texan acquaintance many years ago - and he remained the only one to ever use it. It was a mildly amusing throw-away acronym with my first name in it. I adopted it for online "stuff".

...oh, and Asteroids. I pushed a fair few two bob coins into that machine back in the day! I never got anywhere near rolling over the score on that one. It's one of my "grail' cabs - no way I'm going to pay 5 grand for one though!

Actually - I just checked a vendor in the US, 33 mins ago he put a working one up for sale at $685....I just bought it.....my wife is gonna kill me! :oops:
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Re. Arcades: If you're ever within striking distance of Bury (North of Manchester), then it sounds like the Arcade Club could well be worth a day or so for some of you ... ;^ )

edit: and yes, that is one £5 entry fee and then play until you drop - no need to ruin your pockets with stashes of coins ...
By OCB
^^^^^
Europe’s largest I believe, now over 3 floors with 2 licenses bars :thumright:

The owner of ArcadeClub is a regular on the UKVaC forum. I had planned to go over last year .

Some forumites meet regularly, but once a year we have an “official” meet at ArcadeClub....starting Friday evening and finishing somewhere around Monday morning. Did I mention the 2 bars???

Hotel and travel were booked, but one of the kids + wife got sick.

the Asteroids is confirmed...it’ll take a while to get over in one of the containers that come over this side of the pond. Wife will go mental, but with shipping and import costs, it’ll still work out less than some I’ve seen for sale-and they don’t come up for sale every day!
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:the Asteroids is confirmed...it’ll take a while to get over in one of the containers that come over this side of the pond. Wife will go mental, but with shipping and import costs, it’ll still work out less than some I’ve seen for sale-and they don’t come up for sale every day!

But what if it's got the wrong plug on it?
By OCB
Flinty, it will have a Yank 2 pin for sure - and those old, but robust transformers are waaaay before auto-sensing switching power supplies.

At best it’ll have specially keyed molex type adapters that allow for different input voltages. I have an Atari Breakout - no cpu, all discreet chips, the one Steve Jobs and Wozniak were tasked to reduce the cost of. It has those adapters.

i just downloaded the service manual and indeed it has the same molex style input voltage selector- so all I’ll do is stretch to a US to European plug adapter

BTW - the strategy for getting mega high scores is apparently to leave 1 little asteroid then keep blatting the UFOs who arrive. If high scores are your thing then fair enough - but I don’t see the fun in that.

Once it arrives, anyone flying over close to my place is welcome to come over for an evening of Belgian beer and spending time in my rather pokey man-cave.

Right now I have 1 pinball (a rare “flight” one...of course!), a couple of multi game cabinets, and 3 dedicated machines, one of which is AfterBurner II (it would be rude not to, right?).

I’ll also shortly have my PC gaming/ flight sim kit(s) set up permanently in the man-cave, linked up to a re-purposed 46 inch Sony flat screen.
By dhs
OCB wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the VAC acronym - especially since I used to run an HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) company in the 90s. It is easier to write than Video Arcade Collecting though :)

Ditto, though for ages I thought it stood for Hi-Voltage Alternatingly Current, having worked with Hi-Voltage Direct Current for a number of years as an apprentice, and after... :-/
OCB liked this
By OCB
^^^^Next you lot will be telling me that ASDA has nothing to do with accelerate and stop distance available :shock:

talking of high voltages, I have a discharge tool for CRTs (cathode ray tubes, just to be clear) - it looks like a medieval torture device..I'll see if I can dig it out and post a photo....