For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Leodisflyer
Are there any TVs out there that don’t have a red button and, if so, then why can’t sport be broadcast on the red button with live catch up etc. on iplayer and the like?
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Most hotel TVs, for a reason that I don't understand.

I can't recall exactly how the red button works - I think there is one reserved SD stream, but to show more than that, they either have to be internet streamed, or CBBC HD gets taken off air. I suspect internet streaming is a key limitation - I think there is still 20%+ of the population unable to stream iPlayer or similar.
By Paul_Sengupta
On Freeview you can go straight to the red button channels if you can find them, they're up around channels 700 or 800 or something.
By johnm
There should be a Freeview channel group just for sport, although with BBC1, BBC2 and ITV dedicated to it last night I actually sat in the garden with a book, must do that more often :-)
Lindsayp, Leodisflyer liked this
By Leodisflyer
It's a pain. BBC don't carry the cycling, but they have football. I don't mind football - live, in a box, with a beer, but can't stand the sound of commentary.

The BBC is normally the place to go during ad breaks, but we can't do that at the moment.
By Bill Haddow
This World Cuperia*, like the smoking ban, has an unexpected upside. Just as the cut of the people hanging about a pub's front door having a fag gives you an idea of the general clientele within, so does the presence of bunting portend huge TVs and dive-ball fans. (These fans often have their brain cell count embroidered on the back of their shirts, numbers like 11, 7, 3 and so on. I know not why)

* Talking of -erias, whatever became of Scuderia ?

Bill H
By Paul_Sengupta
Bill Haddow wrote:* Talking of -erias, whatever became of Scuderia ?

He's still floating around cyberspace. He came to the south coast curry a few months ago.
By Bill Haddow
Paul_Sengupta wrote:On Freeview you can go straight to the red button channels if you can find them, they're up around channels 700 or 800 or something.

The Freeview blue channels are 670 - 699, so I'm told.

Bill H
By chevvron
Leodisflyer wrote:It's a pain. BBC don't carry the cycling, but they have football. I don't mind football - live, in a box, with a beer, but can't stand the sound of commentary.

The BBC is normally the place to go during ad breaks, but we can't do that at the moment.

Cycling is usually on on ITV 4 Freeview 24; Tour de france will be on this, but some highlights of the Tour of Italy were recently shown on Quest Freeview 37.
BBC will only show Tour of London & Surrey; they spend all their sports budget by sending too many presenters to the World Cup and other overseas events.
Otherwise BBC Red Button can be accessed any time on Freeview 601; we used it for the Wintery Lympics and I dare say they'll transmit some Wimbledon matches on it; when not in use for sports they usually transmit some rubbish pop festival or similar.
By Leodisflyer
I”m OK with the cycling, which is on ITV4 and doesn’t tend to be too noisy. The issue is the noise of football commentary if you unknowingly switch to BBC to avoid an ad break or if the TV was last left in BBC before being switched off.

I’m wondering why they can’t move the football to the red button and keep the main BBC broadcasts intact.