For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By santon
Hi

I find myself trapped in a contract with three and the signal at my address is rubbish, despite their coverage map suggesting otherwise.

They have a wifi app to route calls through the internet but it doesn't work on my phone and judging by the comments on the Play store I am not alone.

Do the signal boosters that go on the side of the house that are to be found on ebay work and any recommendations please? I understand that their legality is questionable but I'm not inquisitive. :D

thanks
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We used to have one ~ 10 years ago. It helped a little, but wasn't great. It only really provided adequate coverage to one room.
nb: with the wider range of frequency bands used by networks nowadays, you'd need to ensure that it matches the frequency band used by 3 in your area.
By Grelly
I think what you are looking for is called a femtocell.

It's been a few years since I looked in to them. They were too expensive back then. That might have changed by now.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just to add, I moved from a signal booster to a femtocell almost as soon as EE started providing them ... a much better solution, providing your broadband is adequate