For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chevvron
rikur_ wrote:
chevvron wrote: I've only driven standard gauge tank engines (and great fun they were too) :thumright:

eeek.... I've got something in common with @chevvron

Sshhh don't spread it around - the other guys on here might get jealous; even Sengupta would fit on the footplate of a steam loco and just think of the fryups you can have using the shovel; might even be possible to bake a cake on the firebox. :D
Last edited by chevvron on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My worst ever journey was an overnight Train ride to the South of France , tiny Bunks, & sitting next to Mr Bean's double , who proceeded to open his Bag on his Knee & reveal a Kitten , we thought it was his Sandwiches !!. :shock:
Flintstone wrote:
rikur_ wrote:...asking them if they'd seen the class 37 in the carriage sidings and 'do you prefer the mkIII vs mkIV?'.

rikur and his colleague.

Ah, but are these jokers genuine spotters or just conducting a recce for train engines to nick? :twisted:

(Black Alfa parked just out of shot...)
Rob P, rikur_, Flintstone liked this
By Dave W
Flintstone wrote:
rikur_ wrote:...asking them if they'd seen the class 37 in the carriage sidings and 'do you prefer the mkIII vs mkIV?'.

rikur and his colleague.

That's a Class 47. And I've had my hair cut since then.
By Lindsayp
chevvron wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
chevvron wrote:The first job I had after leaving school in 1967 was working at the Alcan Aluminium Foil factory. About 10 Pakistani males worked there (none of them born or 'educated' here) and it was clear the concept of using a handkerchief or even tissue to blow their noses was completely alien to them, any nasal gunge they drew into their mouths somehow then spat it out just outside the door.

Hong Kong taxi drivers regularly kept a see-through plastic bag hanging on the driver's door window winder handle, and topped it up during the day with phlegm. AIUI they thought that the use of a handkerchief was most unpleasant...

The Pakistanis in Chesham were aged from about 16 upwards and only arrived in the town from about 1961 or 2, so none of them could have been brought up in this country; only one or two could even speak English.

and some still don't as I recall..
By Flintstone
rikur_ wrote:
chevvron wrote: I've only driven standard gauge tank engines (and great fun they were too) :thumright:

eeek.... I've got something in common with @chevvron

You're both tankers?